VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AWEIGH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game in question is "Wizardry Empire: Princess of the Ancient", developed by STARFISH in the year 2000. It was the first of the major japanese Wizardry games developed by the japanese after the rights were sold by Sir-Tech.

The game itself is only 100mb's in total and I will provide a dropbox link to the zipped game folder. The only way the game runs is by ticking the Windows 95 or the Windows 98 compatibility tab. Once the game launches it does so in 640x480 and there are no graphical configuration options outside of the DirectDraw code inside the game's executable (which I've finagled with a bit using a hex-editor trying to see if d3d8 code from the game's sequel, Wizardry Empire 2: Legacy of the Princess, would work).

The problem is that once the game launches there is intermittent screen flickering which can range from seemingly completely random to non-stop. It will ALWAYS happen regardless of the game scene being rendered, be it inside one of the textured polygonal dungeons or while utilizing the City's services.

Here is the list of wrappers I've tried:
DDHack10 (didn't launch)
DDWrapper (did nothing that I could notice)
dgVoodoo2_51 (this is the one that got the farthest. it ALMOST works)
DXGL-0-5-8 (this one got the second farthest but causes a game crash to desktop)
DXwin (this one couldn't hook the game but ironically works perfectly with the sequel, which is in d3d8 instead of dd)
D3DWindower (the japanese program that the developer of DXwin ripped off. Same results.)

The one that got the furthest is dgVoodoo and the problem it has is that once you entered any of the dungeons the wall textures disappear; other than that the game works perfectly and WITHOUT the seizure-inducing flickering.

Now, since this is my first post and I'm new here is it ok for me to post the dropbox link to the 100mb zip of the game for whoever is interested in trying to help me out? It's not Abandonware, since it is for sale in Amazon.jp, but it's been out of stock there for more than 8+ years and you will NOT find this game anywhere else. I'm probably one of 7 people who have a copy of this game and it's because I'm part of the translation team (we're nearing completion; and we already translated its sequel which has no problems on modern systems).

So, do I post the dropbox link?

Reply 2 of 4, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At the bottom of every page at VOGONS:

This site hosts no abandonware. There is no material that is knowingly illegal here.
This disclaimer is brought to you thanks to the BSA.

So, no.

However, you mentioned dgVoodoo2. Dege, its creator, has an account on VOGONS and may be able to give you some troubleshooting advice.

Hope that helps. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 4, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another thing you can do is learn how to use the Application Compatibility Toolkit and isolate the compatibility fix that does make the game work and apply only that.

The entire collection of compatibility fixes included in the Win95/Win98 modes do not play well with wrappers.

Reply 4 of 4, by AWEIGH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys! Good advice all around. I'll ask the software creator about this and see if he responds; meanwhile I'm going to google-fu this application compatibility toolkit.

If I understand you correctly you're saying it's POSSIBLE that one of the compatability fixes utilized by Win7 when the game launches under Win95/98 mode is interferring with the wrapping. This makes a lot of sense because the game runs PERFECTLY and without screen flickering when I run it under a virtualized environment (VPC 2007 / Win 98SE) .

The only reason I don't just play it in the VPC and stop whining is because since it is a japanese game although it runs perfect in the VPC the japanese characters, even the stuff I've already translated into english(!), show up as garbage.