VOGONS

First post, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unreal and Unreal Tournament, seem to hate when I choose D3D.

Unreal Tournament runs great in OpenGL on a Geforce2 TI and Glide on a V2 pair. When I choose D3D, it loads to a 1 frame per 10 seconds with the word "precaching". Audio is playing behind it perfectly.

Unreal (Old Unreal) runs great in Glide on a V2 pair. Also does the same exact problem above thing with D3D. In addition, if I choose OpenGL, I get a nice soothing Kernel32 error. So it's not running in OpenGL either.

Windows98SE, using latest official nVidia drivers available for the Geforce2. I was thinking about trying to find an older driver installer for it.

Any thoughts? Thank you much. You are awesome. Yes you.

Reply 1 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try the official unofficial 227 patch. 😉 It brings in support for D3D8 and D3D9 and seems to be faster than OpenGL on some cards with the patch.
http://www.oldunreal.com/oldunrealpatches.html

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah. Read up on the patch from the link I sent. It fixes bugs and brings in performance improvements across the board. If in doubt, make a backup of your directory before installing so you can roll back if you wish. I've tried it on various systems and only have good things to say about it. Oh, if you plan on installing this on a Win9x system, the latest version of the patch that is compatible with Win9x is 227d, so you'll have to scroll down a ways to get the older patch. If you're installing on XP or later, then the latest (227i) version is what you want.

Reply 4 of 13, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great! I'll give it a try.

I am still wondering about an overall problem though, since both UT99 and Unreal are doing the same thing with D3D.

Reply 5 of 13, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For science, I downgraded the geforce2 from Forceware 71.84 to 29.42. After that, it started working beautiful. I do not think 29.42 is even called "Forceware". Need for Speed III also started working correctly in D3D.

If anyone has some input on why, I'd be interested. I suppose at this point, I can start upgrading the drivers and find the newest one that works.

Reply 6 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might also want to benchmark it, to see which one gives you good performance.

To do this press

~

at the castle sequence at the start.

Then type

timedemo 1

Write down the second or third loop result.

There could be quite the differences with driver version, on older machines every FPS matters 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bytesaber wrote:

For science, I downgraded the geforce2 from Forceware 71.84 to 29.42. After that, it started working beautiful. I do not think 29.42 is even called "Forceware". Need for Speed III also started working correctly in D3D.

If anyone has some input on why, I'd be interested. I suppose at this point, I can start upgrading the drivers and find the newest one that works.

What I've read is that in general, drivers are tuned to the graphics cards that were available during their release. So it may not always be advantageous to run the latest driver with an older card.

Which nvidia card are you using?

Reply 9 of 13, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

There was some bigtime regression for the Geforce2 after 61.xx, in Win9X at least.

clueless1 wrote:

What I've read is that in general, drivers are tuned to the graphics cards that were available during their release. So it may not always be advantageous to run the latest driver with an older card.

I have actually wondered this! But I have not tried confirming the claim. This does seem to support it and I'm sure you are both completely right.

clueless1 wrote:

Which nvidia card are you using?

It is a Pine Excalibur geforce2 TI 64MB

20160326_095542.jpg
Filename
20160326_095542.jpg
File size
3.31 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20160326_095557.jpg
Filename
20160326_095557.jpg
File size
4.02 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 13, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

You might also want to benchmark it...
There could be quite the differences with driver version, on older machines every FPS matters 😀

I do enjoy running the timedemo. Now that it's actually working, I will look into testing it with different driver versions 😀

Reply 11 of 13, by BoozerDawg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to resurrect another old thread, but I also got my Win 98 machine up and running recently, and gave UT a go. First, the demo (v348), and picking D3D, the game runs like a dream, smooth 60 FPS on my 4200 Ti. However with the full game (v400), D3D does like you say, 0.5 frames per second. Installed the latest patch, made no change to it. Why does the demo just work properly and full retail doesnt?

Seem to remember this being the case back nearly 20 years ago when I got my first ever PC. Demo was perfect, but the full game I had to stick with software rendering. Was this ever figured out why?

Unreal 1 also runs horribly in D3D 🙁

Reply 12 of 13, by BoozerDawg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fixed this also, using drivers v44.03 has brought back all the performance, in both Unreal and UT. Forgot Win 98 had so much driver issues like this, having to chop n change based on what your playing 😀

Reply 13 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BoozerDawg wrote:

Seem to remember this being the case back nearly 20 years ago when I got my first ever PC. Demo was perfect, but the full game I had to stick with software rendering. Was this ever figured out why?

The Direct3D renderer was still an experimental work in progress! Version 420 is when it pretty much "finished".

apsosig.png
long live PCem