VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've already posted about this on the Mech2 Forum but since I haven't been helped (yet), I thought I'd ask here, maybe somebody knows how to fix this problem.

I have a Windows 95 machine with the following specs:

Specs are as follows:
Motherboard: Zida EX-98
CPU: Pentium 3 Slot 1 @ 300MHz
RAM: 128MB
PSU: 230 Watts
GRAPHICS CARD: S3 VIRGE/DX
FLOPPY DRIVE
44x CD-ROM DRIVE
Microsoft Serial Mouse
5-PIN DIN Keyboard

DirectX Version: 2.0

I've installed MechWarrior 2, everything's working perfectly and game is running VERY smoothly.
One problem though, during a mission, if I move or click the mouse the game freezes. Strangely enough, when I press a key on the keyboard the game unfreezes and the mouse movement happens, and happens fast. Nothing wrong with the keyboard though.
I've tried replacing both the keyboard and mouse and the problem is still present.

I'll try to connect a joystick and see what happens.

Last edited by Munwele on 2016-04-04, 12:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Running in Windows or DOS mode? Can you try both and see if it makes a difference?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 14, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Running in Windows or DOS mode? Can you try both and see if it makes a difference?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've installed the Windows 95 version, and I'm currently running that.
This might sound stupid, but how do I install the DOS version on the Windows 95 machine? I know the CD has both versions on it, I just don't know how to do it exactly.

Reply 3 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Start with Phil's instructions for Win9x DOS mode, boot to DOS mode. IIRC, you'lll need to install the DOS version to another directory using INSTALL.EXE from the CD.

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-mode-tutorials.html

Reply 4 of 14, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Start with Phil's instructions for Win9x DOS mode, boot to DOS mode. IIRC, you'lll need to install the DOS version to another directory using INSTALL.EXE from the CD.

Thank you, I'll do this tomorrow cause the PC is in the basement and it's a mess right now. I'd like to ask, does the DOS version have any limitations or features missing compared to the Windows 95 version?

I'll keep you updated. I've read on many sites that the Windows 95 version is simply not recommended.

Reply 5 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only limitation is a lack of 3D hardware acceleration. So, if you're using the patches for PowerVR or 3Dfx in Windows, you'll loose some of the graphical touches you've been used to.

Reply 6 of 14, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

I installed the game before doing what Phil said, just to see if it works without all that extra crap. Mouse didn't work at all.
I then proceeded to follow his tutorial, mouse still isn't working. I'll try the whole procedure again to double-check.

Reply 7 of 14, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

The only limitation is a lack of 3D hardware acceleration. So, if you're using the patches for PowerVR or 3Dfx in Windows, you'll loose some of the graphical touches you've been used to.

It's working now! 😀
Big thanks goes to you and Phil!

Although I am very happy to see it working flawlessly, I would really love to play the Windows 95 version without any problems. Its graphics are so much better!
It certainly doesn't seem like a hardware problem, but I don't know what it is...

Reply 8 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was thinking W95 input drivers. I'm not sure what the best way to fix them would be.

Reply 9 of 14, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

I was thinking W95 input drivers. I'm not sure what the best way to fix them would be.

I don't think so, because the mouse works fine in other games, plus, I also reinstalled Windows 95 to check, just in case it was just something temporary.

Reply 10 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mech 2 was one of the earliest W95 games, so they could be doing things in ways that are less than standard and less than state of the art.

Anyway, good luck fixing this.

Reply 11 of 14, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Mech 2 was one of the earliest W95 games, so they could be doing things in ways that are less than standard and less than state of the art.

If someone else could help me, it would be great. Heh 😁

Reply 12 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Munwele wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Don't forget to include stuff like your motherboard and DirectX version in the thread. Also, you probably want to check basic stuff like IRQ assignments in device manager in case Windows did something stupid. Remember, keyboard is always IRQ 1, COM 1/3 are always IRQ 4, COM 2/4 are always IRQ3.

Reply 13 of 14, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
Munwele wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Don't forget to include stuff like your motherboard and DirectX version in the thread. Also, you probably want to check basic stuff like IRQ assignments in device manager in case Windows did something stupid. Remember, keyboard is always IRQ 1, COM 1/3 are always IRQ 4, COM 2/4 are always IRQ3.

I just edited the thread.

Unfortunately, I'm hopeless when it comes to IRQ stuff in the BIOS. I just DO NOT have an idea what this might be. The mouse works NORMALLY, the only game that's acting funny is MechWarrior 2, and guess what, that's the game I want to play the most.

Reply 14 of 14, by Munwele

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I fixed it. It turned out the ISO I had downloaded was a piece of crap. Thanks for the help anyways.
I actually went ahead and purchased the Double Pack off Ebay (contains MechWarrior: 31st CC and Ghost Bear's Legacy), they're still brand new and factory sealed. 😊