VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 64, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you go into its properties, you can take ownership of the file in the Security tab, Advanced button. I give the ownership to Administrators. After you take the ownership and confirm with OK, returning to that dialog will let you change permissions. You can give Administrators full control rights.

I have a habit of keeping the original file by appending .bak to its name, then copying modified version to its place. If you ever happen to run sfc /scannow to check integrity of system files, the file will be replaced with original. Though in reality, when you have a problem with Windows, it's very unlikely that some critical file that sfc checks got corrupted. My guess is that it's more likely for it to be cause in case of faulty hardware.

As much as Dism ... /RestoreHealth and sfc /scannow is preached even by guys at Microsoft in case of problems, it practically makes difference 1 times out of 10. The method of patching system files is probably the most problematic if we're talking about theming DLLs to allow usage of unsigned themes. If one of those DLLs get replaced during update, the user will be greeted with BSOD at next logon unless (s)he switched back to stock theme before restarting. The best theme patcher, UxStyle, is not updated anymore.

Anyway, I wouldn't say it's optimal, but it should be at least functional until the next big update. Windows 10 just won't work properly on my hardware, for one thing, I suspect incompatibility with my motherboard's AHCI driver. Though even in VMware and on other machines, there are some "Completing a failed IOCTL request." errors in Event Log (look for StoreDiag category). I get some other IO related errors, which might be the reason the installation managed to get corrupted to the point it was rendered unbootable a year ago.

At one point, they broke ListView control, causing mouse cursor to jump to corner of the screen. Supposedly fixed in current Insider builds. Someone developed a fix for it. I also remember there was a bug that broke some Visual Studio extensions. Explorer also has number of oddities. With default view control, scrollbar jumps up whenever a accent color changes as a result of desktop background change if you have auto-colorization enabled. At least it can be replaced with Folder Options X / QTTabBar, which also unlocks ability to arrange files freely, something possible out of the box in Explorer on Vista / XP. There's also a weird issue if you try to delete a file from the root of plain removable storage device, things like USB flash disks, the file deletion dialog will lack information about file modification date and the size will be reported as 0 bytes regardless of the actual size. Explorer is also significantly slower at counting files since Windows 8.1. It's especially bad with plain mechanical hard drives. How does MS get away with all of this? 😢

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 23 of 64, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a new Windows 10 DX8 issue, I believe. Might be specific to intel graphics. When I try to run old games on my intel tablet thing, only 3/4 of the screen gets used. The desktop shows for the last 1/4 of my screen. This happens regardless of resolution of the game, if I change the resolution, I just see more / less of the image it would appear.

It seems to have happened since the latest W10 update. It looks like this. Here is the main menu for SC300UK

ZFRZBmUh.jpg

It does it during menus or in game. Some games don't do it.

Any ideas?

Edit - It is definitely dx5, 6, 7, 8 related as half life runs fine in OpenGL but has the same issue in DX mode.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 24 of 64, by dge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Almoststew1990

Have you managed to get it working fine? I've got the same issue on my Asus Transformer T101HA tablet/laptop with all old windows games (HoMM series, Nox etc.) and it appears to be related to older Direct X versions but also to screen orientation/rotatio, as you may see, the amount of pixels drawn in horizontal is the same as the resolution vertical size, for example: if you run game with 680480 resolution, you'll get 480 pixels long area drawn (horizonstally).

Still I don't know what to do with that, in some cases using a wrapper (SDL or OpenGL) software (DxWnd and DXGL apps) helps but that's just workaround...

Reply 25 of 64, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I ended up wiping my tablet, properly - boot to USB with Windows 10 set up on it, format the internal storage... reinstall with the latest drivers from Intel, and the issue is still there! So it's not just a conflict of some kind, it's a (new) bug with old DirectX versions on this latest version of W10. It's annoying as the old issue with old DX games (not going full screen) had been fixed but now there is a new issue...

Heck it even seems to effect DOSBox (no idea what dx/openGL/wrapper that uses). If I set it to go full screen, one frame will go full screen and then the rest of the frames from then on will only be 2/3 of the screen... arghh...

I.e. the right hand side of the screen is the one frame that was displaying when I happened to make DB go full screen... the left hand side of the screen was still updating at 60hz. Works fine in windowed mode though.

7G6FijHh.jpg

Reply 26 of 64, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most likely your video card drivers have a bug. Try older or newer versions. You can also disable your video card in device manager to test with WARP.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 27 of 64, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah it definitely is - I've updated the drivers, reinstalled windows etc. On the Intel support page, people have been having the same issue since September. I can run Dosbox in OpenGL, which works fine. But other games not so much!

Reply 28 of 64, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

and maybe adding ddraw?

I didn't do it since there are already ways for ddraw. And you can cover multiple games using a single compatibility database. We should probably ask gho to add this function to DxWnd for D3D8 as well. But really, MS should at least make that "Disable fullscreen optimizations" option work for legacy DirectX if fake fullscreen HAS to be the default.

Though for either d3d8 and ddraw, it would be better to just write proxy DLL that do the patching. There are already solutions for ddraw, so I guess the only thing about the new DLL would be minimalism.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 30 of 64, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's up.

Reply 32 of 64, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ability to restore real fullscreen in D3D8 has been recently added to DxWnd. If you turn on the Expert mode from Options menu, a new tweak can be found under application's profile settings under Tweaks tab called d3d:D3D8MaximizeWinModeHack.

Reply 33 of 64, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why nobody said anything?? The patch for Win10 version 1809 was effectively ineffective because the exclusive fullscreen functionality has been removed from d3d8.dll, just a Direct3D8EnableMaximizedWindowedModeShim function that changes the phantom variable is still there. I have removed the Build 17763 DLL from the ZIP archive. As of this writing, the DLL from Build 17134 can still be used to get real fullscreen back, but that could change with future builds.

Reply 35 of 64, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well you responded with 😀 after asking if I could provide the patched DLL so that's what I did and assumed it worked. I only installed Win10 1809 in December and tried running a D3D8 title for the first time on that Win10 version today only to immediately notice that it doesn't feel right and that upon minimizing it, the taskbar preview thumbnail was showing correctly, which never happens with D3D games in real fullscreen AFAIK. If it ever does, the game probably did something unusual.

Reply 36 of 64, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote:
I have a new Windows 10 DX8 issue, I believe. Might be specific to intel graphics. When I try to run old games on my intel table […]
Show full quote

I have a new Windows 10 DX8 issue, I believe. Might be specific to intel graphics. When I try to run old games on my intel tablet thing, only 3/4 of the screen gets used. The desktop shows for the last 1/4 of my screen. This happens regardless of resolution of the game, if I change the resolution, I just see more / less of the image it would appear.

It seems to have happened since the latest W10 update. It looks like this. Here is the main menu for SC300UK

ZFRZBmUh.jpg

It does it during menus or in game. Some games don't do it.

Any ideas?

Edit - It is definitely dx5, 6, 7, 8 related as half life runs fine in OpenGL but has the same issue in DX mode.

Same sh*t, different game: idol janshi suchie pai III (it uses directx 8.0a).
Modded d3d8.dll does nothing. Dgvoodoo2 doesn't support this game.
o7p05u.jpg
I have Lenovo miix 320, it's a tablet with detachable keyboard, it mounts an intel atom x5-Z8350 (intel hd graphics) and Windows 10 v1809.
Microsoft should definitely fix this crap!

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 38 of 64, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I can see, the new mode is better than the old one. Why do people want to revert to the old one? I don't see any benefits. The new mode alllows faster alt+tab, and DWM gets out of the way, meaning it's not borderless windowed. It IS fullscreen, just... better. You can even use vsync OFF if you want, unlike borderless where you get DWM vsync.

Reply 39 of 64, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Why are you so sure it's a MS issue and not a driver issue or both?

MS and/or Intel should definitely fix this crap. 🙄 😜

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"