VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So by now the fact that Microsoft stuffed up the Xbox One controller drivers is well known. I've been looking into ways to possibly fix this with some games, and yes I know I can just use the 360 pad, but at some point Microsoft is going to discontinue those and besides I rather like the chatpad on the Xbox One pad. That rules out going back to the earlier drivers as per http://www.videogameperfection.com/2016/02/24 … native-drivers/ too.

So I understand that Microsoft took the rather foolish decision to put the analogue triggers on different axis this time. I say foolish, it makes sense to do this unless you have years of legacy software that expects both triggers to be on the same axis. I can understand how that breaks some games.

What I can't wrap my head around is some of the other behaviour I've been seeing. Take the game "Mini Moto Racing Evo" for example. That works fine with a 360 controller and came out when the 360 controller was standard. You would think from that it used Xinput... but I can't be sure (is there a way to tell?). Anyway, when you get in the game using the Xbox One controlller, the car constantly spins as if your finger is on the analogue stick permanently.

I don't understand this behaviour at all... If the problem is with the mapping of the Z axis (triggers), why is the game acting like there's something wrong on the X-axis (control stick) ?

I thought maybe a tool like Xinput Plus might help shed some light on the matter, but using the DirectInput test with the Xbone controller in that shows everything working normally, exactly the same as a 360 pad.

Then there's games like Sega's Binary Domain, that has its button mappings all messed up on the Xbox One pad.. I mean wtf ???

Very curious if someone can shed more light on this.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 1 of 6, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I frequently have problems with games that assume I want to use a controller when I don't have one attached. Either it shows me prompts so I have to guess which keyboard input it corresponds to or it won't accept any input at all.

Reply 3 of 6, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DirectInput trigger axes are centred when there is no user interaction with the device
The Xbox 360 controller was designed to register minimum value, not centre, when the triggers are not being held.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 6, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed that does seem to be the case according to the controller test, but what I can't wrap my head around is why changes to Z axis are affecting the X axis in so many games?

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 5 of 6, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

this may work for you
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=49128

also read the first paragrah of this :
http://www.videogameperfection.com/2016/02/19 … -for-pc-gamers/

Although the 360 pad works perfectly fine in a large number of DirectInput titles, Microsoft made the decision to map both of the pads analogue triggers to the same axis. So, by squeezing the left analogue trigger all the way down, you’d set the axis to the minimum, and by squeezing the right analogue trigger all the way down, you would set the axis to the maximum. The problem with this is that it doesn’t work well in a lot of games, especially driving games. If you want to perform some advanced racing manoeuvres you will often want to touch both the throttle and the brake at the same time and since these controls were mapped to the same axis, that wouldn’t work.

For the Xbox One pad, Microsoft has at least tried to remedy this behaviour. Each analogue trigger is now assigned to a different axis. This is good news for the most part. We tested the controller in the classic racing game Rallisport Challenge and indeed it did allow for proper, individual control of the throttle and brake.

Last edited by Davros on 2016-05-08, 11:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 6 of 6, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a different issue unfortunately, though I have seen games that simply do not work at all when the controller is connected.

With so many issues, starting to wonder if the drivers just FUBAR and will never get fixed. Microsoft QA really has taken a nose-dive with Windows 10, so many niggly things.

I wrote the second page you linked to so yeah I'm aware of the alternative drivers, but they break headsets and the chatpad 🙁

play-old-pc-games.com