VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forums since this is the perfect place to talk about old operating systems and games. I currently have two desktops; one that is modern and runs Windows 10, and an old computer from 2001 that runs Windows 95C. Here are the specs of that computer according to the dxdiag text file:

Microsoft Windows 95 (4.0, Build 1212) C
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: OptiPlex GX110
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A06
Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~864MHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)

I mainly use this computer for nostalgic purposes such as using old software and playing old games that do not work properly with modern computers. My question is are there any old games that can be played online with old computers and systems? The only game I know so far that can be played online on my Windows 95 computer is Warcraft II Battle.Net Edition. Thanks to War2.ru, I can play the game online with players around the world.

Reply 1 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Continuum hasn't dropped Win9x support afaik. It should sitll be playable on a (high end) 486 even, assuming they didn't bloat it up with new routines since 2008.

UT and UT2004 are still somewhat active.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 6, by brotalnia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are numerous heavily populated chinese servers for Counter-Strike 1.5 that you can play on. There are servers from other countries too, like Russia, Bulgaria and Turkey, but the chinese ones have the most players. Just install the won2 master server patch to get the server browser working.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Braca862 wrote:

My question is are there any old games that can be played online with old computers and systems?

Probably, but there's very little reason not to just use them with a more modern system. System Shock 2, Simcity 2000 Network Edition, and Skulltag (a Doom source port) come to mind, but you'd have to find someone else who wants to play them first.

Reply 5 of 6, by ragnar-gd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Empire Deluxe comes to mind. If you find another one installing the correct protocol, or use a serial link cable, you may even play this as multiplayer.

My posts on the subject of W98SE legacy are dedicated to Rudolph Loew, (+11/ 2019, *1952), as without his work my builds would not be possible.