VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pentotark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to everyone in the forum.

I recently bought a 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 12MB card to play Quake 2 with glide libraries.
Though, when I launch the game, everything is really bright to the point that some dark areas looks burnt.
Is that ever happened to you? Is there something I can do to fix this?

My pc is an AMD k7 700MHz, 128MB ram, S3 Trio 3D+voodoo2 card. It is runnig windows 98 SE with standard voodoo 2 drivers V3.02.02.

Thank you

Reply 1 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the 3dfx MiniGL's gamma of 1.7 bothers you, you can still use the full ICD the later 1999+ 3dfx drivers provide (Windows\System\3dfxvgl.dll) by setting gl_driver 3dfxvgl. This does not force a high gamma.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 11, by pentotark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

If the 3dfx MiniGL's gamma of 1.7 bothers you, you can still use the full ICD the later 1999+ 3dfx drivers provide (Windows\System\3dfxvgl.dll) by setting gl_driver 3dfxvgl. This does not force a high gamma.

I'm a bit embarassed to ask this but, could you please help me doing that? Do I need to download something specific?

Thank you 😄''

Reply 3 of 11, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Copy 3dfxvgl.dll to the Quake2 directory then rename 3dfxvgl.dll to opengl32.dll.
Select "default opengl" in the Quake 2 settings.
IIRC Quake2 minigl gamma controls work ok with Voodoo2 but you must restart the game. When you press apply - there are no changes.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 11, by pentotark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

Copy 3dfxvgl.dll to the Quake2 directory then rename 3dfxvgl.dll to opengl32.dll.
IIRC Quake2 minigl gamma controls work ok with Voodoo2 but you must restart the game. When you press apply - there are no changes.

Thank you very much!

Reply 5 of 11, by pentotark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

I did what you said and works, but it does look exaclty as just setting opengl before from the menu. Is that okay?

Also I have another problem, every time i exit the game the pc goes back to desktop with artifacts, windows is still working and i can navigate the menus but the screen is messed up. Also, if I get back to windows while the game is still on the pc freezes. Maybe there is something I installed not properly?

Reply 6 of 11, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentotark wrote:
Gamecollector wrote:

I did what you said and works, but it does look exaclty as just setting opengl before from the menu. Is that okay?

Also I have another problem, every time i exit the game the pc goes back to desktop with artifacts, windows is still working and i can navigate the menus but the screen is messed up. Also, if I get back to windows while the game is still on the pc freezes. Maybe there is something I installed not properly?

Does plugging the card directly into the 2D card produce artifacts?

Reply 9 of 11, by pentotark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Trying your solution, I downloaded this file: http://www.falconfly.de/opengl.htm
renamed 3dfxogl.dll and put that into C:\windows\system folder
run the game
and wrote gl_drivers 3dfxogl inside the game console

but nothing has happened.

btw, reinstalling my S3 drivers, I don't have any artifacts issues anymore.

Reply 10 of 11, by pentotark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:
pentotark wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

Does plugging the card directly into the 2D card produce artifacts?

Do you mean plugging the monitor directly to the 2D card?

Yes

It was, yes! So I reinstalled the S3 Savage4 drivers another time and that problem is gone now. =)