Common searches

Unreal A3D?

Topic actions

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, is there anyway to get A3D to work in Unreal with the 226 patch? I can only get it to work with the 221 beta and lower.

Reply 1 of 59, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrEWhite wrote:

Hi, is there anyway to get A3D to work in Unreal with the 226 patch? I can only get it to work with the 221 beta and lower.

I think A3D worked fine for me with the GOG version (Unreal Gold).

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 59, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

I think A3D worked fine for me with the GOG version (Unreal Gold).

I don't get the sound that you get when you usually start it up for some reason, and that usually shows me it's working. And I don't have Gold sadly, only the original.

Reply 3 of 59, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh the A3D jingle? Yea it doesn't play, but I don't think that means it's not working. Just put it in headphone mode and listen to headphones, it's very obvious if it works.

Reply 4 of 59, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Oh the A3D jingle? Yea it doesn't play, but I don't think that means it's not working. Just put it in headphone mode and listen to headphones, it's very obvious if it works.

Don't have any headphones on me, have crap earbuds. 😜
I thought the jingle always plays when it initializes A3D?

Reply 5 of 59, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it does for most games. Earphones should work just as well!

I think in one of my videos (voodoo 5) I have Unreal Gold and A3D running.

Reply 6 of 59, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:

Don't have any headphones on me, have crap earbuds.

If you have no >=4 speakers properly placed, a headphones is the best way to get 3D sound. Earbuds are just the kind of headphones, the positioning effects should be same.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 13 of 59, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:
lowenz wrote:

Using a wrapper or an original A3D certified card?

I have a Diamond Monster MX300. I got the A3D logo/jingle on earlier versions 221 and earlier.

Everything is recorded in unreal's log file, it's easy to tell if its working.
Copy paste from my unreal.log file:

Init: Galaxy is using DirectSound
Init: Aureal A3D 2.x 3D sound hardware found!
Init: Galaxy initialized

If you're using an earlier versions of unreal it only supports A3D 1.0, the latest patch adds 2.0 support.
If you're using unreal gold, it uses a newer version of the engine and supports A3D 2.0 by default.

Reply 15 of 59, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Up!

Blood 2 too finds the A3D wrapper ("3D Sound" in the launcher -> A3D splash image http://i67.tinypic.com/30kr7l1.jpg ) but how can I use A3D in the game?

( https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-bugs/20 … ary/095046.html )

Reply 16 of 59, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

Blood 2 too finds the A3D wrapper ("3D Sound" in the launcher -> A3D splash image http://i67.tinypic.com/30kr7l1.jpg ) but how can I use A3D in the game?

It doesn't appear to really be finding it on your system because, according to your screenshot, "Aureal Interactive" doesn't show up in the menu of drivers.

It does show up for me after installing the A3D package that I put together over the Summer and was going to release, but never did. If you'd like to give it a try, here it is.

Any feedback that you or anyone wants to give on how well it enables A3D in Blood II, Unreal, Jedi Knight or any other A3D-supporting game is welcome and might help me make a decision on whether or not to release it officially or not.

Attachments

• Filename
    A3D-Alchemy-Setup.zip
    File size
    1.41 MiB
    Downloads
    3799 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Osprey on 2018-07-01, 06:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 59, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder if my version of Unreal is too old. When I tried it with my A3D card (not a wrapper), it sounded very much like it was only using 1.0 positioning. I'll have to try updating (though I thought that I did).

Unless it had something to do with my card complaining that it wasn't in slot 1, even though it was.

So far, the only A3D supported game that has impressed me was Quake 3, but it has to be a REALLY old version of the game. I'm not sure exactly which versions...I know v1.0 works fine, and the demo works fine...a few newer revisions worked okay but had the stereo reversed. The Gold version seems to have had all of the A3D 2.0 support ripped out.

I don't even really like Q3, but I must've spent hours running around different maps, just amazed at the immersion of the audio.

I wish the Dark Engine games supported A3D 2.0, that would be incredible.

Edit: I'm skimming through the Q3A source code right now, and it looks like all of the A3D stuff is still in there, it's just commented out. I'm really tempted to try compiling this. Athough, when I was looking at different versions of the game before, it looked like some of the A3D information was hard-coded into the BSP maps, so I'm not sure how much good it would do. I could be wrong, however.

Reply 18 of 59, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Opsray, there's a NEW version of Indirect Sound to use in your package! (I see you're using it)

http://www.indirectsound.com/downloads/Indire … tSound_0_13.zip

We got the author - jonpol - too on these forums: > indirect sound

Reply 19 of 59, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, it's working! 😁

Untitled.jpg

Sometimes the speaks from an NPC remain in the "original" position (someone speaks from left, you turn or walk away and the sound remains at left), but maybe it's a Blood 2 specific issue.
I'm using Indirect Sound 0.13.