VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Azurex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

When attempting to install certain old games, such as Destruction Derby 2, Windows 10 will display this 'error'

twzs5PV.png

It should be possible to install these games. It's just that Windows seems to be blocking them. Is there any work around for this? Compatibility modes and running as administrator doesn't work.

Reply 1 of 16, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check that the game is compatible with x64 operative systems, perhaps make a virtual machine with 7 x64 and try to install it there to verify if it's compatible with x64 architecture.

A simple way would be just to make a virtual machine with 98 and install it there, but that feels like cheating 🤣

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 2 of 16, by Azurex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Elia1995 wrote:

Check that the game is compatible with x64 operative systems, perhaps make a virtual machine with 7 x64 and try to install it there to verify if it's compatible with x64 architecture.

A simple way would be just to make a virtual machine with 98 and install it there, but that feels like cheating 🤣

Aha, I was actually considering doing the latter. What virtual machine would you recommend using to play old school games on, or does that not matter?

Reply 3 of 16, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've always used Windows XP on VMWare for the best compatibility, since emulated Windows 98 gave me a bunch of issues.

I have 7 here on my main PC though.

Most important ones:

Reply 4 of 16, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I even get those messages on W7, and since when are Programmes called App? It's a Computer not a smartphone...

But I also got some issues with W98 on a Virtual machine, so I decided to use an old Pentium II and installed the games there, I would say that's the best option, because even on XP not everything is running as expected.

Oh, and if you trying some dos-games there is always... well what was that name again... 🤣

Reply 6 of 16, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roman78 wrote:

Oh, and if you trying some dos-games there is always... well what was that name again... 🤣

DOSBox ?

Most important ones:

Reply 7 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you trying to run an old setup program ?
For example, the Wise InstallShield is also available as a Win32 binary.
To use the 32bit version, just copy the replacement file into that directory.
If you're not sure which type of installer your program uses, select the setup file
and look at the file properties (right click) and Windows will tell you in the details tab..

There's also a thread at the reactos forum, which has such a file.
Installing 32-bit programs with 16-bit setup launcher stubs

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Roman78 wrote:

I even get those messages on W7, and since when are Programmes called App? It's a Computer not a smartphone...

Programs have been called applications for a long time now, so the step to App is small. And no matter whether you call it automobile or car it's still very similar. In the case of program/app there is no real distinction...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4431819/wh … -an-application

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

True, also the term "app" became famous since the smartphone era, I think.
Maybe this is also because of Apple and it's products, the iPhone and the Macintosh.
For example, the word "App" is part of the name "Apple" and early Mac programs had an "APP" "extension" (identifier/document type).
But yes, the word "application" is really old and probably not their invention.
And as computer hobbyists we were probably just more used to the terms "programme" or "program" more than usual people.
Btw, it's also possible to combine both terms. Like this statement: "Programs are made for a specific application." 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 16, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows isn't blocking it out of spite or because it thinks you shouldn't be running it or whatever, it genuinely can't run it, since it's a 16 bit program and they don't work on 64 bit versions of Windows.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 11 of 16, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But that does not mean there is no hope in all cases. During the transition from Win3x to 9x some games and programs shipped with both a Win16 and Win32 binary. Case in point, Titanic, Adventure out of Time. and then as mentioned 16-bit installers for 32-bit games/applications. There can be workarounds for this, such as for the 16-bit installer stubs. Games with true 16-bit installers may have to be manually installed. Depending on the game or installer this may be an easy solution or very involved. It might be possible to track the installer on a VM to find any registry entries or system files it requires and then copy the game files over and then manually add any required registry entries and system files.

Even if you do this, it may not be the end of what is required. There are often compatibility issues with Windows games this old that will need to be addressed.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 12 of 16, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I even surprised myself when I got some completely unexpected games to run even here on my Windows 7 x64 PC !!!
As Collector said, some games just have the installer incompatible, but the game itself is actually compatible, it happened to me with Get Medieval and Simon the Sorcerer's Pinball: I couldn't install them here on my most modern PC with Windows 7, but when I tried to launch the games directly off my Windows 98 PC via shared folder, they worked !!! I was playing them... off my Windows 98 PC on my Windows 7 PC, it was amazing.

Perhaps you can try to install the game on a virtual machine and then copy the files and folders just as they are onto Windows 10 and maybe edit some registry keys, as Collector said.

Most important ones:

Reply 14 of 16, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It might be possible to track the installer on a VM to find any registry entries or system files it requires and then copy the game files over and then manually add any required registry entries and system files.

Oh yes absolutely you're correct. You mention Titanic, I actually re-wrote a quick and dirty installer for that myself using those same techniques 😀

To answer the original posters question (literally) though, no, you cannot bypass that error message.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 15 of 16, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wrote a new Titanic installer a few years ago. http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3925

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers