VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just put Windows XP SP2 on a new system and all is running fine so far. Do I need SP3 if I'm just playing games? Won't be getting online so security updates won't be needed - I think. Any thoughts anyone?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Asus V7700 GF2 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

There can be a few SP3 minimum games which deliberately do this to deter the "sp2 pirates". since SP3 had mandatory WGA.

Which games are those? And didn't WGA get replaced in a later XP update by Windows Activation Technologies anyway?

Reply 4 of 8, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

If you're staying offline, you could probably even get away with using SP1. I've heard XP RTM isn't that good though.

I would use SP2 as minium.. Cause SP2 fixes LBA-48 problem.. So bigger harddisks beyond 137GB can be fully accessed.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 5 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This should not be in the Windows games forum. Marvin would be a better fit for such an old OS.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 8, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ Why not? The description for this forum reads "Getting old Windows games working." Marvin is about hardware.

As for XP games that matter (that really has to use XP for proper EAX or because of compatibility issues), two examples FEAR (2005) and BioShock (2007) requires only XP SP2 (or Vista SP1 at most). SP3 itself was released in 2008. With later games (Mass Effect 2, BioShock 2) I'm not sure EAX was really supported or not.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 7 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, but at the time the subforum descriptions for DOS and Windows in The Guide were written... the overall name of the forum was and still is VOGONS. "Very Old Games On New Systems".

The meaning of "New Systems" hasn't changed, rather, it's expanded. Back in 2002 "New Systems" was considered operating systems of Windows 2000 and Windows XP (mainly XP). And Old Games was considered to be MS-DOS games and games designed for Windows 3.1, 95, 98, or Windows Me.

So... it's debatable. I will say that this forum isn't really for getting era-appropriate games designed for XP working on retro XP rigs.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
buckeye wrote:

all is running fine so far.

That's your answer! Nope, not necessary at all.
if it aint broke...