VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any possible way to replace the incompatibility message on any Win 64 bits when you try to run a 16 bits program with an emulation layer or a minimalistic virtual machine upon launching the desired application? I googled for that a lot but found nothing.

Reply 1 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Any possible way" ? I suppose if you really wanted to, you could associate all .exe files with a special launcher that will first check if the program is 16-bit and otherwise launch the .exe normally. But I don't know if such a launcher already exists.

Reply 2 of 11, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

"Any possible way" ? I suppose if you really wanted to, you could associate all .exe files with a special launcher that will first check if the program is 16-bit and otherwise launch the .exe normally. But I don't know if such a launcher already exists.

You got my point. I suppose the message is due to another program which runs when you try to run 16 bits applications. If so, replacing this program with wowexec or something else like WINE could be possible?

Reply 3 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WOW is dependent on NTVDM, so you would need to deal with that first. That said, there is this: NTVDM on windows 10 x64

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 11, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

WOW is dependent on NTVDM, so you would need to deal with that first. That said, there is this: NTVDM on windows 10 x64

Now that's some interesting news. Perhaps there might be some hope after all.

Reply 5 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
filipetolhuizen wrote:

I suppose the message is due to another program which runs when you try to run 16 bits applications.

A separate program? I expect it's some internal Windows thing buried in the kernel.

A quick Google search turns up a page in Windows Internals:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=w65CAwAAQBAJ … 20ntvdm&f=false

You could go and try to patch the kernel or insert some sort of hook, I suppose, but in the end it would probably be easier (and safer) just to make a separate launcher for starting every .exe file.

filipetolhuizen wrote:

If so, replacing this program with wowexec or something else like WINE could be possible?

There have been threads here before about running WINE on Windows; at this point I doubt it's ever going to happen (unless it's something like WINE running in Linux running in DOSBox). Besides, WINE's ability to run 16-bit Windows code relies on some unique trickery exclusive to the Linux kernel, and even those tricks are starting to get phased out (or so I understand).

Reply 6 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

A quick Google search turns up a page in Windows Internals:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=w65CAwAAQBAJ … 20ntvdm&f=false

The link doesn't work for me. How was Vlad detecting DOS EXEs for VDMS Launchpad? It was never an option for NE or PE executables. Could the same thing be extended to include NEs?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

The link doesn't work for me.

Still works here. It's just one of the Google Books search results for <how does windows decide whether to run ntvdm>.

Reply 8 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
collector wrote:

The link doesn't work for me.

Still works here. It's just one of the Google Books search results for <how does windows decide whether to run ntvdm>.

Can't see it either. I guess it's blocked for Americans?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

Changing the ca domain to com makes it work.

D'oh! I shoulda thought of that. 😢

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto