VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought Quake GOG (never played Quake) to try on my new XP rig and for reason can't seem to adjust the resolution past the default 640 x 480. Went to the GOG forums and tried different ideas - using Nglide tool, set win95 compatibility, adding different parameters to the launch command line all to no avail. Thought about installing Quakespasm but it's sketchy on how to do so, can anyone advise on that? My video card is a BFG GeForce 7950GT if that helps in some way.

If I can't get this to fly I thought about just getting original Quake off ebay and installing on my Win98 rig. Can anyone offer any steps for installing so I can play at the higher resolutions in windows/not dos?
My Win98 specs:

P3 450mhz.
384mb ram
Geforce3 Ti200 AGP

Would I need to get a 3DFX/Voodoo card for the PCI slot to get it running or can I make do with the Geforce? A lot of questions I know - sorry! Just want try this game out badly!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recall quakespasm being pretty easy to set up. I can't give you directions off the top of my head, but you should try it out. You get a great "vanilla" look (meaning the 3d effects look original, not at all enhanced over how it looked back in the day) and better mouse/movement support.

There are also instructions on how to turn the GOG release into the original install CD (the ISO is embedded in the GOG installation) here:
search.php?keywords=quake&t=37966&sf=msgonly

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 11, by Nopileus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why are you using nglide? Just start glquake.exe normally and it should run just fine. (it's opengl not glide)
For resolution you just add parameters to a shortcut of glquake.exe, for example "-width 1024 -height 768 -bpp 32".

The gog version of quake also includes retail disc images for quake and its two expansions, you can use those to get a properly clean installation of the game and to extract the music.
They are named "game.cue" and "game.gog" for the main game, just mount it in an image mounting tool or burn it to a disc.

Reply 3 of 11, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

I recall quakespasm being pretty easy to set up. I can't give you directions off the top of my head, but you should try it out. You get a great "vanilla" look (meaning the 3d effects look original, not at all enhanced over how it looked back in the day) and better mouse/movement support.

There are also instructions on how to turn the GOG release into the original install CD (the ISO is embedded in the GOG installation) here:

Yeah, game.gog is the cd image

Last edited by lightmaster on 2016-06-23, 21:14. Edited 1 time in total.

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 4 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lightmaster wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Yeah, game.gog is the iso.

It sounds like it's in a bin/cue format due to the CD Audio tracks, not iso. A bit more work to make an install disc that way. And if you follow the link I posted, there seems to be some tweaking to the cue sheet in addition.

Reply 6 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nopileus wrote:

Yes it's a cue/bin image, the cue already points to "game.gog" so you just need to burn/mount the cue and all's good.

So you don't have to time-correct the cue sheet as described here?
https://www.gog.com/forum/quake_series/quake_ … e_sheets/post15

Reply 8 of 11, by Nopileus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
Nopileus wrote:

Yes it's a cue/bin image, the cue already points to "game.gog" so you just need to burn/mount the cue and all's good.

So you don't have to time-correct the cue sheet as described here?
https://www.gog.com/forum/quake_series/quake_ … e_sheets/post15

You may have to, its been a while since i've done it.