VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm looking to try out some "sub sims" and was hoping to get some recommendations. Will be running on WinXp or Win98 - say 2001-2008 for when the game came out. So far the Silent Hunter series is all I've come across and don't know much about it either.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 16, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

+1 Dangerous Waters, and if you can try to track down the *thick* spiral bound users manual...

The Silent Hunter series is considered pretty top notch. SH4 - Wolves Of The Pacific puts you in command of US subs in the PTO if you don't care to "wolfpack" it against Allied shipping in the Atlantic.

Shells Of Fury 1914 is worthwhile if you're interested in taking a look at sub actions of WW-1.

Reply 4 of 16, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sub Command?

I think that Dangerous water lets youcontrol fleets or task forces.That's not bad, but Sub Command is submarine oriented.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 16, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:

Sub Command?

I think that Dangerous water lets youcontrol fleets or task forces.That's not bad, but Sub Command is submarine oriented.

It's not a task force game - you take direct control of a sub or any one of the various sub/anti-sub "platforms" offered; frigates, aircraft and helicopters in a mission/campaign based setting. It's basically the final iteration of the original SC with the addition of new US, Russian and Chinese tactical gear to choose from. And pretty vast.

Reply 9 of 16, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

It's not a task force game - you take direct control of a sub or any one of the various sub/anti-sub "platforms" offered; frigates, aircraft and helicopters in a mission/campaign based setting. It's basically the final iteration of the original SC with the addition of new US, Russian and Chinese tactical gear to choose from. And pretty vast.

I thought that you could "jump" from one plataform to another (i.e.: you are commanding a Seawolf and get into a Orion with some keypresses). That gives you some "task force" capability, and also can give you some unfair advantage.

Maybe I'm wrong and you must stick to a platform during the mission...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 11 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FYI, Silent Service 1+2 is on sale this weekend for $1.49 at GOG

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:

A few minutes ago I almost bought Silent Hunter 1 and 3 for 50ct each 😁

Can you guys recommend these games?

I just glanced over a few reviews and it seems that Silent Hunter gets more favorable reviews than Silent Service. Check out that subsim.com site that was linked a few posts up. Here's a forum thread to start you off:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=129393

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 14 of 16, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played Silent Service on my ZX Spectrum. It was the best submarine simulator for that computer. So, keep in mind that:

- Silent Service was published (on ZX Spectrum) in 1987, so PC version should have been released at the same year (wikipedia says that it was released on 1985). buckeye was looking for games from this century.
- Silent Hunter was published on 1996.
- Some things that people keeps forgetting is that old games can not be directly compared, and that they must be measured against their age. I mean, I'm sure that Silent Hunter is more realistic and have more characteristics than Silent Service, but there's no way to fit those things into a 48k computer or into a XT computer.

Silent Service received 8.18/10 (from users) on World of Spectrum, 8.4/10 (from users) on Lemon 64. At that time, it was the best sub simulator. But it can't be compared to a game made 10 years later, running on computers way more powerful.

If I'd had to recommend a realistic simulator, I'd said any Silent Hunter (but not Silent Hunter 5, it was too many quircks with DRM). But if you need the best simulator for Spectrum, C64, NES or for a 8086 PC... get Silent Service ASAP.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 16 of 16, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aideka wrote:

Steam has a package with 688(I) Hunter/Killer, Dangerous Waters, Fleet Command and Sub Command for a good price http://store.steampowered.com/sub/200/

Currently on sale at gamersgate for 4,50€.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CNAVALCP/complet … val-combat-pack