VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been installing and testing a bunch of 1997-2002 era 3D games on a W98se/P3-933/V5/Dx90c build and finally got around to Panzer Elite. Yes I have the GOG version running nice and smooth in high resolution in W7 but this is a curiosity project and I wanted to relive the original experience to see how far we've come. The problem is I almost can't with PzE. At lowest possible in-game and Voodoo settings I barely crack 10 fps in battle. This surprised me as I remember the game being quite playable originally - and I think I was running a V5 at the time.

I researched old reviews and fan sites and there is considerable talk about performance issues on Voodoo cards but even so people running the game on V3's (not to mention the V5 which was not out at the time of release) generally report smooth and acceptable play.

I patched the game step by step right up to Special Edition v12 spec and observed no improvement. V5 in FSAA x4 mode lowers frames from about 12 to 7. Can it be it ran this bad?