VOGONS

Common searches

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

Topic actions

First post, by Deep Thought

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The original Splinter Cell is currently available for free on Uplay until mid-August.
This seems to be the same 1.3 version of the game that is distributed on GOG, so the bonus missions are included, but EAX Advanced HD (EAX3) is disabled, and the shadows do not display correctly on modern hardware by default.

Running on a modern PC:

1. Download and install the widescreen patch to support modern displays.
This also includes a fix to enable proper full-screen mode on Windows 10, even if you plan on running the game in 4:3.
Set Direct3D8DisableMaximizedWindowedModeShim to 1 in <game dir>\system\d3d8.ini

2. To fix the shadows, edit the game shortcut to launch with -shadowmode=projector
This does not restore the full quality shadows, but is currently the best option available on modern hardware.
I have not found a way to increase the shadow resolution beyond the in-game options.

3. Enable anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering if you have an NVIDIA GPU.
Download and run the latest build of NVIDIA Profile Inspector. Open up the "Splinter Cell" profile.
Set anti-aliasing compatibility to 0x00000040. You can just type this into the box.
Set anti-aliasing behavior flags to "None", anti-aliasing mode to "Override application setting" and select the level of anti-aliasing you want to use.
If you want to use super-sampling use the "SQ" options rather than the "transparency supersampling" options.
Set anisotropic filtering to "User-defined" and "16x"
V-Sync will be disabled by default. Personally I prefer to force this via the driver, and set the maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 to minimize input lag.
The profile should look something like this.

4. Enable EAX audio. If you have a Creative sound card, point ALchemy to the system folder inside the game directory.
Open <game dir>\system\SplinterCellUser.ini and set:

• Sound3DAcc=True
    EAX=True
    EAX_Capable=True

This will enable EAX in the game. However the EAX Advanced HD option (EAX3) will still be unavailable in the menu so I expect that the game is falling back to EAX2 support when you do this.

I purchased a cheap DVD version of the game off eBay and I found that by copying over certain DLL files, I was able to restore the EAX Advanced HD option in the Uplay version of the game - though this prevents you from playing the DLC maps. (game quits with an error)
However, I'm not sure whether the EAX3 functionality is fully restored by this. Does anyone know a good way to test it?
The pre-patched version of the game from the DVD constantly freezes on my PC and I can't even make it past the tutorial so I can't do a comparison between the two to see if they sound different at all. They don't appear to be any different from the limited testing that I was able to do.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows how to unlock all the levels in the game.
I've played through it many times before on the original Xbox when it was first released, but never on PC, and I just wanted access to all the levels for testing right now.

Last edited by Deep Thought on 2016-07-24, 19:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 33, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are a few existing threads on Splinter Cell. It's been a while so my memory is a bit foggy.

I have the CD, GOG and Steam versions, also the Mission CD upgrade disc.

I looked into the EAX issue once, and wrote about it, but try finding that post 😊

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 33, by Deep Thought

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

There are a few existing threads on Splinter Cell. It's been a while so my memory is a bit foggy.

I have the CD, GOG and Steam versions, also the Mission CD upgrade disc.

I looked into the EAX issue once, and wrote about it, but try finding that post 😊

Most of the discussions about Splinter Cell seemed to be focused on getting Pandora Tomorrow working (which I also picked up on DVD) or building a retro PC to play the original, rather than getting it to work on modern hardware/OS.

I bought the DVD version when I saw your posts/videos about EAX not working with the game in the version that GOG/Uplay are distributing, but EAX does actually work in those versions of the game - it's just that you cannot enable EAX 3.

I have a small collection of DLL files that I've isolated which seem to re-enable the EAX 3 option in those versions of the game (which also prevents you from playing the DLC) however I can't find any information on what differences there should be running the game in EAX 3 vs standard EAX (2?) support and I've yet to find anything where I can hear a difference.

Since the DVD version of the game freezes constantly for me - to the point that I can't even load a save game or enter the menus once in-game - I can't really do a proper audio comparison to see if it sounds any different from my modified Uplay version.

Reply 3 of 33, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This testing might be easier on an old PC? There might be too many other variables in play with modern software and equipment. It seems the GOG version is the way to go then, with your method enable EAX and have the bonus levels.

In this other thread I installed the CD game, then patched it and installed the Mission CDs. But I can't remember if that disabled the EAX option. I tried finding the post, but no luck...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 33, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem with the shadows is NOT related to GF2 mode but to "ForceShadowMode".
0==projector, 1==buffer

Force 0 there, do not touch "EmulateGF2Mode" 😉

1 (shadowbuffer) must be tested on a GF3/GF4 with 2002 drivers.

Reply 5 of 33, by Deep Thought

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:
The problem with the shadows is NOT related to GF2 mode but to "ForceShadowMode". 0==projector, 1==buffer Force 0 there, do not […]
Show full quote

The problem with the shadows is NOT related to GF2 mode but to "ForceShadowMode".
0==projector, 1==buffer
Force 0 there, do not touch "EmulateGF2Mode" 😉
1 (shadowbuffer) must be tested on a GF3/GF4 with 2002 drivers.

As I said, it doesn't work on modern hardware. (GTX 960)
You need to use the EmulateGF2Mode option.

The problem is that the old hardware runs the game very poorly, while new hardware gives you high framerates/resolution/image quality (supersampling at 60+ FPS) but you lose the fancy shadows.

Reply 8 of 33, by Deep Thought

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could you check the area that I showed in my screenshots?

It's the very start of the "Police Station" level. Here is a save file if you need one.
With projector shadows only some of the game's shadows seemed to be rendering at all.
EmulateGF2Mode is lower quality (no projected shadows) but at least displays all the lighting correctly.

Reply 11 of 33, by Deep Thought

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you have any modifications installed?
Most of the shadows just disappear when I set the shadows to Projector Mode.
Even enabling the SetVertexShaderConstantHook option in the widescreen mod doesn't help.

Reply 12 of 33, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No mod at all.

Here's my .ini:

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=True
HighDetailActors=True
UsePrecaching=True
UseMipmapping=True
UseTrilinear=True
UseMultitexture=True
UsePageFlipping=True
UseFullscreen=False
UseGammaCorrection=True
DetailTextures=True
UseTripleBuffering=False
UsePrecache=False
Use32BitTextures=True
HardwareSkinning=True
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=True
UseTripleBuffering=False
UseVSync=True
; ForceShadowMode flag : 0==projector, 1==buffer, unspecified==auto-detect
ForceShadowMode= 0
EmulateGF2Mode=0

Reply 13 of 33, by Deep Thought

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's exactly the same as mine. Very strange.
What I did find is that launching the game with -shadowmode=projector rather than setting projector shadows via the config file does seem to work, rather than having to force GF2 Emulation.
However I'm not seeing any difference between the two.

Reply 15 of 33, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deep Thought wrote:

What I did find is that launching the game with -shadowmode=projector rather than setting projector shadows via the config file does seem to work

Maybe you've set some Windows compatibility modes in the shortcut!

Reply 16 of 33, by Deep Thought

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:

GeForce 2 one has "less" gate shadow.....

That shadow moves all over the place so it's just a result of the frames not being identical. Everywhere I've done a comparison, they seem to be identical.
If you compare the left/right edges each screenshot has more visible on one side than the other.

lowenz wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:

What I did find is that launching the game with -shadowmode=projector rather than setting projector shadows via the config file does seem to work

Maybe you've set some Windows compatibility modes in the shortcut!

I think it's actually the widescreen mod I had installed.
It seems to force the game into using buffered shadow mode in the config, but setting -shadowmode=projector or enabling GF2 emulation overrides this.

Reply 17 of 33, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, there's the forcing option in the script

[MAIN]
ResX = 0
ResY = 0
ForceShadowBufferMode = 1 // Use with d3d8 wrapper that comes with this fix or any other that fixes the issue.
HudWidescreenMode = 1 // Makes certain hud elements offset to screen edges.
WidescreenHudOffset = 120.0 // This is the default offset for 16:9. For lower aspect ratios adjusted automatically, for higher you may change it manually.

Reply 18 of 33, by Deep Thought

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, I was only looking at the d3d8.ini config not the SplinterCell.WidescreenFix.ini in the scripts folder.
Well that solves that issue.

Still not seeing any difference between projector shadows and the GF2 emulation mode though.
I suspect that only one of them is being used regardless of what is being set, and we'd need someone with the real hardware to do a comparison to show the differences.

Reply 19 of 33, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The real question is: "Buffer Mode - it was the "next gen" feature back in those days, really a "window on the future" - can work correctly on a GeForce 3/4 with a proper drivers set" ?

Nobody remembers it today, 🤣.