Reply 20 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce3.html

Top right of the page:

Shadow Buffers

Part of the nfiniteFX II and nfiniteFX Engines, shadow buffers enable self-shadowing for characters and objects, and soften the edges of shadows for realistic effects, adding depth to scenes and highlighting spatial relationships between objects.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 21 of 32, by Deep Thought

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

The real question is: "Buffer Mode - it was the "next gen" feature back in those days, really a "window on the future" - can work correctly on a GeForce 3/4 with a proper drivers set" ?

Nobody remembers it today, 🤣.

I remember it from the Xbox - which was how I originally played the game, and it's a shame that there's no way to get it working correctly on today's hardware.
The GF3/4 hardware can do it, but performance is poor so I wouldn't want to play through the game on one of them.
Hopefully someone will be able to fix it eventually.

Reply 22 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On a GF4 performance is ok if you reduce both the detail options. The night vision max setting is just way too demanding anyway.

Also reducing the resolution can help.

Reply 23 of 32, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

On a GF4 performance is ok if you reduce both the detail options. The night vision max setting is just way too demanding anyway.

Do you have a working system with a GF4?

Reply 24 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lowenz wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Do you have a working system with a GF4?

Not currently, but I built a dedicated machine once and made a few videos about the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB9BTbtNyDw&l … ZHpq30_nk2HgZ9M

Would love to hear what you think. There are some benchmarks too. I made this ages ago, so it's not as polished / concise but gets the job done 😊

Reply 25 of 32, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣, tested now by myself on a Radeon 9600 PRO, crash with Buffer Mode! 2010 drivers.
One day I'll buy a crappy 4800 somewhere on the net just for the sake of testing 😁

Last edited by lowenz on 2016-07-25, 11:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes the FX works most of the time. But not all the time. It's quite a shame as the FX is so much faster, especially the 5950 Ultra for example.

I think I have video footage of a few scenes that work on the GF4 but have minor glitches on the FX.

Reply 31 of 32, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I realize this thread is old, but I wanted to provide an update on EAX Advanced HD availability in version 1.3 since that was asked about. Apparently, the digital storefront releases of Splinter Cell (from GOG etc). which are pre-patched to version 1.3 have EAX Advanced HD disabled and unselectable under sound options.

However, if you patch the retail CD release to version 1.3 then EAX Advanced HD will work fine, and the setting will be properly selectable under sound options. Tested with the US release of Splinter Cell Espionage Pack + official US patch 1.3 which also contains the bonus missions. This was with an Audigy sound card (SB0090) running under Windows ME.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi