VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't get Davilex's Knight Rider The Game to work on Windows 10 64bit, for a few reasons, as follows:

The game works on Win8.1 64bit (needs a ForceSimpleWindow ACT fix to get rid of borders though), but it uses SafeDisc, which is blocked in Windows 10 (and of you install all the updates, in Win 8.1 too).

I downloaded a no CD version from a well-known site, but whilst that works on WinXP (aka my oldest machine), it doesn't work on Windows 10.

Rather gallingly, the demos of both Knight Rider and Knight Rider 2 work fine on Win10.

What I really need is a "clean" no CD version, as the one on the web has some sort of pop-up screen before launching the game. Maybe some regions didn't use SafeDisc (or some compilations, as I have some other unprotected Davilex games on compilation CDs)?

Anyway I doubt anyone can help, but I thought I'd ask!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 5, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure it's using Safedisc? The first copy I found on Google, ehr, I mean the video game store, was not protected with safedisc. No clue what CD check system was in place, but it was not safedisc.

And you do know you can re-enable safedisc in Windows 10? It's a bit complicated, but very possible.

Reply 2 of 5, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I know you can re-sign the driver but no-CD patches are often cleaner (and quicker to load!).

The UK release definitely has some sort of protection; the consensus online is SafeDisc v2 disc check, which in Win10 shows up as a message saying something like are you running in Adminstrator mode (which does nothing to fix it).

I believed Win10 blocked SafeDisc and SecuROM, but I've not had any problem with any SecuROM protected games (perhaps because I installed them in Win8.1 then upgraded the driver still works?).

Most no-CD patches simply boot the game, but I noticed the one for Knight Rider on WinXP flashes up a splash screen with some name on it (a bit of hacker self-promotion) so that might be something that's failing on Win10. I just need a clean, non-protected exe!

I also believe there's some apps for un-SafeDisc-ing programs, but not looked into that yet...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 5, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
Yeah I know you can re-sign the driver but no-CD patches are often cleaner (and quicker to load!). […]
Show full quote

Yeah I know you can re-sign the driver but no-CD patches are often cleaner (and quicker to load!).

The UK release definitely has some sort of protection; the consensus online is SafeDisc v2 disc check, which in Win10 shows up as a message saying something like are you running in Adminstrator mode (which does nothing to fix it).

I believed Win10 blocked SafeDisc and SecuROM, but I've not had any problem with any SecuROM protected games (perhaps because I installed them in Win8.1 then upgraded the driver still works?).

Most no-CD patches simply boot the game, but I noticed the one for Knight Rider on WinXP flashes up a splash screen with some name on it (a bit of hacker self-promotion) so that might be something that's failing on Win10. I just need a clean, non-protected exe!

I also believe there's some apps for un-SafeDisc-ing programs, but not looked into that yet...

There are generic Safedisc unwrappers and they work pretty well (though probably not in Windows 10, you'll likely need to run them in a VM of some older OS).

VirtuaIceMan wrote:

But if you play a lot of games you'll sooner or later run into a game that won't have a proper crack. Might as well figure out how to do the re-signing part now if you ask me.

Reply 4 of 5, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SecuROM was never blocked, it's the usual case of one website reports that it is/was, and then every other site on the internet is scrambling to run the story too as quick as possible, so they get the clicks, and fact checking goes out the window.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 5 of 5, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have knightrider so there is a good chance I have a nocd
but because all of my backup cd's are cunningly labelled backup it will take me some time to find
edit: cant find one have you tried a safedisk unwrapper ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness