VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Running Rogue on a P3 450 and Geforce3 Ti 200 Win98SE. The camera keeps getting left behind when accelerating and sometimes the game doesn't play smoothly/gets the jitters. I know hitting F1 can temporarily fix the camera but wonder if downgrading my hardware would help. Thinking about replacing the current setup with a P233 and a TNT2 Ultra, maybe it'll help. Any comments would be welcome!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 9, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

See this thread : Rogue Squadron "far away camera" problem
and this one : Direct X problem w. Rogue squadron

Not sure their solutions will work for you, but might help anyway.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 2 of 9, by mudlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was debugging this game for a while:
https://github.com/mudlord/rogue_fix

x64dbg databases of what I found so far are included.

I was mainly poking around internals in the Scoundrel Engine (RS's game engine). Factor 5 luckily left most of their debug strings, which is nice. In the future I want that DLL to encompass all known versions of the game engine so that someone can just copy relevant files from the game disc, and then the injected DLL works as a no-CD+game patcher to fix known bugs. At least, that was the idea.

For me, a funny camera fix was to purposely die asap. Then the variables for the camera for me are inited properly, 🤣, which meant the camera from there worked fine....Which leads me to think some variables are not zeroed properly or something. Or some race condition.

Reply 4 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I played it recently on a 550 MHz K6-III+ and a V3. I didn't know about this glitch, and only played the first two levels, but it seemed fine. I can try some more soon. The game wasn't silky smooth, but playable like most of the games back in the day 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 9, by mudlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stranno wrote:

I finished it with the camera glitch without any problems.

GOG version has the no cd fixes and crashes after every mission patched, as well as the Naboo Starfighter.
Steam version has encryption of the game executable, funnily enough, which meant I had to crack it to debug it.....

Reply 6 of 9, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mudlord wrote:
stranno wrote:

I finished it with the camera glitch without any problems.

GOG version has the no cd fixes and crashes after every mission patched, as well as the Naboo Starfighter.
Steam version has encryption of the game executable, funnily enough, which meant I had to crack it to debug it.....

I played the original version, before it was on GOG or Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz5jrKY6XsI

Reply 7 of 9, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ended up replacing the Geforce3 with a Hercules 3D Prophet II Ultra. Silky smooth now with no camera glitch. Thanks to all for the comments.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W