VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Digitalzombie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings!

In a serious case of nostalgia I've cobbled a pseudo 2003 (my high time in gaming) high-end system together this week (the one from my signature).
It may be a bit to high-end for Windows ME, but in truth I've always liked it and and XP was a bit to new for my taste 😀
It's pretty period correct, except for the new power supply and as a cause of insanity a Mushkin Chronos 120GB SATA SSD.

Shame on me, but I've actually NEVER played System Shock (2). But damn, its friggin hard to get it running on Windows 9x/ME.
So I'm in need of a bit of help.

Steam is of course out of the question and the GOG version is patched beyond anything usable on WinMe (bought it, tried it, nope 🙁 ).
Then I began hunting for the retail version and finally found one for a few bucks.

With my system specs of course I don't want to run the vanilla unpatched version. A bit of eye candy in form of mods and a few bugfixes as patches should be possible. At least I thought so.

I've tried the howto from here: How-to-get-the-most-out-of-System-Shock-2
Didn't want to overdo it, so I've tried "Setup #3".

Yeah ... as soon as the game is patched (without mods), it's pretty much the same as the GOG version. Which means I've got 2 errors on starting the SHOCK2.exe.

1. "expects newer version of Windows"
2. "a device attached to the system is not functioning"

The first one is pretty much self explaining. The second one maybe too, but I got no idea which device it could be. I know of one error in the device manager but thats just the damn nforce USB controller (couldn't be it, could it?).

So, my goal is clear. Now I need help. Anyone knows about the latest patch for Win9x/ME? The mod manager doesn't work on ME, but I could mod it directly. Still a few options and bugfixes from the unofficial patch would be awesome.

Anyone got ideas? 😀

Last edited by Digitalzombie on 2016-08-07, 20:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Nothing ever burns down by itself
Every fire needs a little bit of help

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's possible newdark isn't compatible with Windows 9x. (GOG ver comes with newdark by default....assholes)

Easiest way to verify is to install System Shock 2 and then apply the newdark patch. If SS2 doesn't work then there's your answer.

If newdark is the issue and you want to use newdark then modifying the newdark source or using kernelex could get it to work.

IIRC, SS2Tool integrated newdark in v4.0.

SS2 is completely playable without any of the unofficial patches and mods (Except for the affinity issue but should be unaffected on 9x) but obviously the unofficial patches are preferred by most people.

SS2Tool 3.6 https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=392.0

NewDark http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085

Hit up systemshock.org for SS2 tips. They'll probably know what ver mod manager works on 9x.

Have fun with the game. It's one of my favorites.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by Digitalzombie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Woah ... THANK YOU!!!!

Kernelex did it! Didn't know this was a thing. Seems I need to learn a few things getting into the retro business.

I found out Newdark needs the Visual C++ 2008 redist (msvcp90.dll and msvcr90.dll). Of course not much luck installing it, 2005 wouldn't work either.
BUT copying the two dlls from my Win7 machine to the System Shock directory did the trick.

I can run the shock2.exe, see the intro vid and the menue. Still need to try the actual game, but if I do this today I won't get any more work done 😉
So tomorrow, I guess I'll dive deep into the guts of the von Braun. 😀

[Edit]
Yeaaaaah ... of course I couldn't wait more than 10 minutes ... 😁
It really works! Dolphin-smooth @ 120 Hz. Still need to check the FPS, but from my feeling it's currently well over 100. Might drop down a little when theres action on the screen, but I think the impact will be minor.
[/Edit]

Attachments

• SS2_WHOOO.jpg
    Filename
    SS2_WHOOO.jpg
    File size
    231.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Nothing ever burns down by itself
Every fire needs a little bit of help

Reply 3 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know if it's a feasible option to slip in an old 2.3 EXE over the GOG/Steam version to get your pre-Newdark SS2 back. That would assume all the other data files are 2.3 based. Haven't tried this theory myself as I don't own the "new version" 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem