VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Lightseeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm trying out lots of old CD-ROM games again on a Windows XP Laptop that I bought second-hand after having converted the discs to isos. I use WinCDemu to mount the iso and it works fine, but some multi-disc games cause problems.

Right now, I'm stuck at Star Trek Generations. This games has two discs, meaning in my case two isos. I start the game with disc 1 mounted but after the first missions it prompts me to change discs. However, it doesn't let me go back to Windows. The Windows button is disabled by the game, alt+tab doesn't do anything either, and Ctrl+Alt+Del kills the game altogether. So how can I reach WinCDEmu to change the disc? It's a stupid question maybe but I've tried everything I can think of....

Or is there any other mount programm that allows me to mount two or more isos at the same drive letter and change with some key combination, like in DosBox?

Thanks for any advice, I'm really stuck here. And I was so happy to get Generations to run finally 🙁

Reply 2 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think Daemon Tools supports hotkeys.
http://ccm.net/faq/14316-daemon-tools-lite-co … board-shortcuts

It is very strange that Generations should be able to block going back to Windows so completely. What about Ctrl-Shift-Esc?

Reply 5 of 10, by Lightseeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I tried that but the game only supports one CD drive so doesn't recognise the other. I'm rather clueless what else to try. There must be some way to force it to let me back into Windows without shutting itself down but I can't figure it out 🙁

Reply 7 of 10, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

is it possible to create an iso containing the contents of both cd's ?
or see if someone has a savegame that lets you start at the mission that requires cd 2

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 8 of 10, by Lightseeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Daemon Tools hotkeys didn't work either 🙁 I'm trying with DXWnd but I can't get it to run. I've never used it before and after I set the path etc. and want to run the game (it has a yellow dot), I get "Create Process error=2". Maybe someone more familiar with DXWnd can help me, I think that could solve the Problem if I got it to run?

Reply 10 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As Mr. Davros suggested, maybe it's worth trying to create an iso containing the contents of both CDs. The question would be how the program distinguishes one CD from the other. Do the discs have different volume labels? Or is there a distinct file in the root directory of each CD that looks like it might be identifying one CD or the other?