VOGONS

First post, by Overheat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I've come to these forums for guidance. I've recently been getting into old big box games for their wonderful artwork and the nostalgia involved in handling them and installing them. However, as is often the way with these things, I'm running into a few issues. I think I may start fresh with my setup and re-install Windows, but if there's a quick trick to fix my system less drastically, then I thought I'd best ask first.

First of all, here's the system I'm using:

OS Microsoft Windows 95C
Motherboard Dell E139761 Slot 1
CPU Intel Pentium II 350Mhz
RAM 128MB PC100 168pin
Video ATI Rage Pro Turbo 8MB AGP
Sound Creative Sound Blaster Vibra 128 PCI CT4810
HDD Maxtor 10GB IDE
Optical Compaq CRD-8322B CD Drive 32x
Removable Compaq Floppy
Case Compaq DeskPro EP6500
PSU Dell PS-5201-7D 200W

Hopefully that's comprehensive enough for now. Anyway, first problem, which I'm hoping to solve by swapping my CT4810 for an ISA CT2950, is getting Discworld and Simon the Sorcerer to work in DOS. But the main issue I'm looking to solve and the reason for this post is getting some Windows 95 games to see my CD Drive.

The main games I've tried so far that seem to be affected by this are Tiberian Sun and Sudden Strike. Both of these games install fine, but when it comes to trying to play the game, they cannot detect the CD drive. Sudden Strike even seems to search the floppy drive instead of the CD drive when looking for the game CD. I'm not sure if this error could be caused by anything I've changed in config or autoexec to get the CD drive to work in DOS, which I why I'm considering formatting and starting again, and probably building a seperate DOS PC as well (which I'm going to write another post for in a moment), but if this is something that someone here has come across before and knows a quick fix, then that would be great.

Reply 1 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes problems like this come down to drive letter oddities; see for instance http://punkrockhacker.blogspot.ca/2014_06_01_archive.html .

Is your floppy drive A and your CD-ROM drive D?

I suppose I don't have to tell you that Simon the Sorcerer and Discworld work fine in ScummVM.

Reply 2 of 12, by Overheat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, my floppy drive is A: and the CD-ROM is D: and I've tried messing with my config and autoexec by ;ing the lines I added, but no joy.

And yeah, I assumed as much on the ScummVM front, but would like to avoid emulation if possible - I've started another thread for my DOS PC project.

Reply 3 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These are authentic, original CDs you're using, right?

Often in cases like this it can be useful to run Filemon, which can identify what files a program is trying to access. It is slightly less overkill than using IDA, as described in the post I linked to.

I don't think anything you put in your config.sys or autoexec.bat has anything to do with this.

Reply 5 of 12, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll bet the problem is the copy protection on the Tiberian Sun and Sudden Strike discs.
Back around 1999-2000 I had an optical drive that failed the disc checks on half the games I tried with it.
They'd install fine, but when I tried to start the games, I'd get a message telling me to insert the CD when it was already in the drive.

People suggested I update the drive's firmware, but there was no firmware update for that model.

I eventually solved the problem by replacing the drive.
Even though it played "unprotected" games just fine, many of the Windows games I played had some form of copy protection it would choke on.

Reply 6 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that this should be in Marvin. This forum is for old Windows games on modern systems, not old systems or old Operating Systems.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 12, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

Note that this should be in Marvin. This forum is for old Windows games on modern systems, not old systems or old Operating Systems.

If you were a new user coming here, which forum would look more appropriate for a post
about old games on an old system?

The description of "Marvin" sounds like it's about old hardware, not games.

Marvin
Discussion about old PC hardware and Retro PCs

The description of the "Windows" forum doesn't say it's only for modern systems.

Windows
Getting old Windows games working.

Most people don't deliberately post in the wrong place when they're looking for help,
but I hope you see how the current descriptions would be confusing for a new member.

Reply 9 of 12, by CU-133A+

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Overheat, I had a similar problem. You can read the post here.

The only thing I could do was swap the optical drive. While I am convinced it was a specific problem between the the OS and the hardware rather than the hardware its self, I couldn't track down what the specific problem was.

Reply 10 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Come to think of it, this might come down to the old "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" problem. Such problems can be attributed to CD-RW "packet writing" software and some CD-ripping programs.

There are lots of guides relating to accessing the relevant registry keys. See for instance https://kb.acronis.com/content/1620 .

Reply 12 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I should add that installing a spare CD drive will, among other things, result in the creation of a new device in the registry with blank Upperfilters and Lowerfilters keys, which is why that came to mind. But whatever works.