VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ed_barber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old copy Delta Force 2 and am wondering if anyone has managed to get the game to function properly under Direct3D mode (full-screen hardware renderer)? I don't believe that such a game can pass testing with all these problems such as objects being rendered in D3D and them being visible through the terrain even though they are behind it. There are even missions with water in them and the water would actually morph through the terrain, which is kinda nauseating. There was also one scene with dense fog and it would make the objects seem like they were just placed over the fog layer even though it's quite deep into it. Seems like really bad z-buffering issues going on here. I even have the exit prompt make the weapon you are holding sorta morph through it. I remember owning a nVidia GeForce 7600 GS and using drivers from around June 2008 I was able to make the game run half-decently in D3D mode. Here are some comparisons:

Attachments

Last edited by ed_barber on 2023-04-23, 17:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's how it was designed, and this was a big often complained about thing in the day that the D3D acceleration didn't accelerate Voxelspace's voxels, so there's a lack of depth testing.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 5, by ed_barber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

That's how it was designed, and this was a big often complained about thing in the day that the D3D acceleration didn't accelerate Voxelspace's voxels, so there's a lack of depth testing.

Yeah, I heard someone mention that if you can force the z-buffer or something to use 16-bit instead of 32-bit it should fix the issue. Tried it with 3d-analyze but to no avail as that program might not be compatible with Windows 10.

Reply 3 of 5, by c64z80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am not too sure if it will fix the issues you are talking about but have you tried DgVoodoo2 Directx Wrapper?

http://dege.freeweb.hu/

As well as emulating the old D3D it can also emulate Glide, enabling you to play games in this mode as well.

What you do once it is downloaded is copy all the dlls from the MS(Or Glide, if you want to use that instead) folder from DgVoodoo2 into the same folder as where your game exe is installed. (if you already have other copies of these files in your came folder, copy them somewhere safe) To configure settings you open DgVoodoo2 control panel, click add and point towards your game folder where you put the Dlls. Then just select the Glide or Directx tab to configure.

It may not work but it has helped massively with old D3D games for me such as Tomb Raider series and Deus Ex.

Reply 4 of 5, by ed_barber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
c64z80 wrote:
I am not too sure if it will fix the issues you are talking about but have you tried DgVoodoo2 Directx Wrapper? […]
Show full quote

I am not too sure if it will fix the issues you are talking about but have you tried DgVoodoo2 Directx Wrapper?

http://dege.freeweb.hu/

As well as emulating the old D3D it can also emulate Glide, enabling you to play games in this mode as well.

What you do once it is downloaded is copy all the dlls from the MS(Or Glide, if you want to use that instead) folder from DgVoodoo2 into the same folder as where your game exe is installed. (if you already have other copies of these files in your came folder, copy them somewhere safe) To configure settings you open DgVoodoo2 control panel, click add and point towards your game folder where you put the Dlls. Then just select the Glide or Directx tab to configure.

It may not work but it has helped massively with old D3D games for me such as Tomb Raider series and Deus Ex.

Tried it and it seems to only fix the sorting issue with the exit game prompt. Dege said it's on the list of fixes so hopefully it can get this game working again 😀

Reply 5 of 5, by ed_barber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the same guy that wrote dgVoodoo released a partial fix for 3D acceleration Delta Force 2. Not perfect but progress to say the least. The terrain will still partially show through the 3D objects, and the fog doesn't blend with 3D objects (seems like a game bug in itself).