VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, my pc mounts windows xp, I have this problem since a long time ago and never understood why it happens.

Windows media player refuses to play audiocds and data+audio (redbook) tracks, games with audiotracks run but music doesn't work, sound effects only. Games that rely on midi interface seem broken too but at least I can hear midis correctly in wmp. Better to focus on main problem: missing redbook.

I have 2 ide cdrom drives. Putting the game on first CD drive doesn't fix the issue. It seems like wmp cannot find the files (url error) when clicking play to run an audiocd...

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 1 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WMP uses .cda files provided by Windows (fake files). You can also try CD Player from Win98/2k for testing.
It uses MCI commands to directly "talk" to the drive (like old WMPs did). Music is then played by the drive itself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Player_(Windows)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you enable digital audio playback for the CD-ROM drive (it's in one of the Sound or Multimedia control panels), then the data will be played through the appropriate Windows audio device.

Reply 3 of 14, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Digital audio playback is enabled for both phisical drives. Note: they can read/burn dvd discs, they aren't simple cd drives.

Cdplayer.exe from my windows98se retropc, it runs but it cannot identify audiocd discs, it says "please insert audiocd". Wmp9 correctly see disc as audiocd but it throws that error when selecting play from drive menu or when when selecting play an audiocd directly in wmp.

Software like nero's built in cdplayer can correctly play audio discs.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 4 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Myloch wrote:

Cdplayer.exe from my windows98se retropc, it runs but it cannot identify audiocd discs, it says "please insert audiocd".

Your drive may be experiencing hardware failure. You should see if audio CDs still play in DOS or from a Linux-based player like Geexbox or MoviX.

Wmp9 correctly see disc as audiocd but it throws that error when selecting play from drive menu or when when selecting play an audiocd directly in wmp.

It sees the disc as "audiocd" but throws a "please insert audiocd" error? I don't understand.

Reply 5 of 14, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I doubt it's an hardware failure because nero cd player can correctly play audio tracks.

Wmp detects tracklist but when playing a track a redcross icon appears and url error, like it cannot find the file.
I'll post a screenshot when possible.

Reply 6 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Myloch wrote:

I doubt it's an hardware failure because nero cd player can correctly play audio tracks.

I'm confused. Are you running nero cd player on your "windows98se retropc" as well?

Sometimes strange problems are produced by programs adding lines to the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" registry keys. Googling around should provide some more information.

Reply 7 of 14, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

I'm confused. Are you running nero cd player on your "windows98se retropc" as well?

Nope. I don't have nero suite on that system.

Jorpho wrote:

Sometimes strange problems are produced by programs adding lines to the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" registry keys. Googling around should provide some more information.

Like this? https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/314060
I'll try, I never did some of the proposed solutions.

Reply 8 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Myloch wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

Nope. I don't have nero suite on that system.

So... If you're having problems playing audio CDs on that system, why are you saying that it can't be a matter of hardware failure?

Reply 9 of 14, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have problems in the win98se pc, just in the winXP one. Win98 pc can play audio tracks regularly. Nero cd player is installed in the XP one and it's the only program I have that can play audiocd there.

Reply 10 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So do you mean you swapped the drive between both the 98se rig and the XP one ?

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 14, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

So do you mean you swapped the drive between both the 98se rig and the XP one ?

🤣 forget that win98se pc. It works perfectly, it uses another cd drive that I never removed 😀 I only talked about it because I got cdplayer.exe (as suggested by you) from that machine.

No. I stated that the 2 cd/dvd drives I have in the winXp pc *imho* have not a hardware failure because they correctly play audio cds with a player by Nero. If the drives are broken, they wouldn't work at all. They just don't play redbook tracks in Windows media player and when you run a random game.

Again, I'll try messing with registry, following Jorpho's suggestion and see what happens.

Reply 12 of 14, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing worked so far, making registry edits shown in microsoft's article didn't do the trick. I wonder if it might be an audiodriver or directx issue, midi in games didn't work too, while midi work in wmp (confused).

Made further tests with redbook playing: not only wmp but some free software like tinyplayer didn't work while others like nero's player (nero showtime), exact audio copy or openmusicplayer worked brilliantly.

Reply 13 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Myloch wrote:

midi in games didn't work too, while midi work in wmp (confused).

Not sure, but perhaps one of them is using MCI and the other one Direct Music..

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 14, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

Not sure, but perhaps one of them is using MCI and the other one Direct Music..

Guess what? Today I tested (for other reasons) an old win3.1 native game and midi songs can be heard. What if all redbook and midi weird problems are related to directx? Dxdiag tests say all is ok though.