VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gagster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this problem regarding Red Alert 2 when it comes to multitasking. It's running fine as long as you don't alt-tab or press the windows-button. Once the game gets minimized, there's no going back. Once the game gets maximized again, the image disappears while the game is still running.

I suppose this is an ongoing issue when it comes to old ddraw games. In Tiberian Sun however, there is a launcher called TSLauncher that fixes most of that games compatibility issues on modern systems. If I enter the settings menu in TSLauncher, I can freely choose a different renderer (in this case DxWnd, Windowed Mode and No window border to overcome the alt-tab issues.)

I tried to use various ddraw wrappers for RA2, including aqrit ddraw and the DxWnd application without any luck. I am nowhere near a solution to this alt-tabbing issue as of yet, and I have almost given up getting this game working without glitches while alt-tabbing and such.

Do any of you have a solution to this issue, and any idea how to fix this?

CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

Reply 2 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I admit I mainly play the 1st C&C/RA but "finding" a copy of the 1st Decade and applying the unofficial patch works a lot better then patching the free copies made available a few years ago on XP and above

http://www.cncnz.com/hosted-projects/command- … official-patch/

Reply 3 of 4, by Gagster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have made an account on the discussion board aka forum of the DxWnd app, and have together with the author found a solution to this issue https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … hread/0d015bb8/

Long story short; Yuri's Revenge is as of today working in fullscreen windowed with both alt+tab / windows key minimizing the game using the suggested solutions, however vanilla RA2 is as of now broken in fullscreen windowed mode somehow.

Reply 4 of 4, by Gagster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Both RA2 and Yuri's Revenge are working as it should now, without using the Borderless Gaming application and by only using DxWnd. Here are the steps in general for making RA2/Yuri great again:

1. Edit ra2.ini and ra2md.ini with notepad, and use these settings :

[Video]
AllowHiResModes=yes
AllowVRAMSidebar=yes
VideoBackBuffer=no
ScreenWidth=1920
ScreenHeight=1080
StretchMovies=no

ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight is the same as your native monitor resolution.

2. Unhook all the compatibility mode options on the .exe files in the RA2 folder if you haven't done that already (Windows 98 mode, 16 bit colors, run as administrator and so on). Also, if you have any ddraw fixes in the folder such as the aqrit one, delete them from the RA2 folder as well (aqrit.cfg & ddraw.dll).

3. Downloaded the newest release of DxWnd (I use v2.03.98).

4. Open DxWnd, drag the game.exe and the gamemd.exe from the RA2 folder into the open DxWnd window.

5. On the configuration-screen of both the game.exe (RA2) or gamemd.exe (Yuri), make the following modifications:

[Main]
Path: <the location of the game.exe / gamemd.exe file>
Launch: <the location of the Ra2.exe / Ra2MD.exe file>
[Main/Generic]
Run in window=on
[Main/Position]
Desktop=on

[Video/Windows handling]
Modal style=on
Send VM_ACTIVEAPP message=on
[Video/Window Size & Position]
Anchored=on

[DirectX/AERO handling]
Set AERO compatibility mode=off
Optimize for AERO mode=off

Leave the rest of the settings to their default value, and press OK.

Exit DxWnd, and a dialogue will ask you if you would want to save changes. Click Yes.

6. Now both Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge are working while pressing alt+tab and pressing the Windows key in-game. You can now launch the games by either doing it via DxWnd or going to the RA2 directory and start RA2.exe and RA2MD.exe (DxWnd must be running in the background).

The only issues I have in the game as of now (only minor), is that in Yuri's Revenge the main menu image stretches all across the screen. Also, the mouse cursor keeps blinking when highlighting a unit in both RA2 & Yuri.