VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BSF2015

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What is the program to make a Pacman CD-ROM game on Windows 95??

Reply 2 of 6, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BSF2015 wrote:

What is the program to make a Pacman CD-ROM game on Windows 95??

Let me address some of the specific problems with your question.

BSF2015 wrote:

the program

There is no such thing as the one and only "program" for making a game, unless you want to mess with "game making" utilities which are almost always crap. What you would need to make a good PacMan clone is a compiler & IDE for the programming language of your choice. It might be C, it might be Pascal, it might even be BASIC. You would have to learn how to write code, and get down and dirty with the graphics calls.

BSF2015 wrote:

Pacman CD-ROM game

A PacMan clone that takes up enough space to require a CD is probably beyond the scope of what you're trying to do.

BSF2015 wrote:

on Windows 95

You just posted about writing a PacMan clone in DOS. The same program would most likely work just fine in Windows 95, no questions asked. It would be much easier writing your program in DOS than in Windows since you wouldn't have to deal with Windows API calls.

Here's what I recommend since you haven't done this before and you don't seem to want to put much effort into it. Get Microsoft QuickBasic 4.5, read some tutorials online (and don't ask me where to find them, google it!), then use your brain and start trying to write it. If you need help you can ask us specific questions, but don't go asking things that you can easily find on the internet or in the IDE's help files.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

There is no such thing as the one and only "program" for making a game, unless you want to mess with "game making" utilities which are almost always crap. What you would need to make a good PacMan clone is a compiler & IDE for the programming language of your choice.

Well, this reminds me of Klik&Play! Does anyone remember Klik&Play ?
It was such a cool game editor/construction kit back in the 90s.. I think it still lives on as a product called "Game Factory" or "Multimedia Fusion".
The original created Win 3.1 NE files and later versions had the ability to import the older games.
It was later released as freeware for educational use (must have been somewhen between 2000-2006).
Programming samples can still be found in The Klik Archive.

Pacman in Game Maker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=len9EFf7rTA

Making The Most of Adventure Games out of Klik 'n Play
http://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/mirrors/ww … s/knpguide.html

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 6, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

It would be much easier writing your program in DOS than in Windows since you wouldn't have to deal with Windows API calls.

I beg to differ. Programming sound and graphics in DirectX for example is easier than dealing with hardware directly on DOS.
Plus the same game (when written correctly) will be able to work on modern systems with Windows 10 without emulation.

Reply 5 of 6, by Tommaso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I would suggest doing, as I learned this way about ten years ago and succeeded in making a nice RPG game, is to first learn C. The best and easiest was to learn is getting the C for Dummies books part one and part 2. After you read that and do some programming, get Windows Game Programming for dummies. The dummies books are the best and easiest way to learn as I have read many and these are the best and start from scratch. After that, you will need to learn direct x, and I suggest DirectX 7 as there are many books on it that are well documented. After DirectX 8 they moved to 9 and that changed to a totally 3d programing, so its easier to learn 7 first. Then when you get good move on to 3d. You can still do 2D in directX 9 but I found it much too difficult to learn without knowing more first. I did it exactly this way and learned how to program pretty well any simple graphical game in about a months time studying it every night for a couple hours. If you are persistant and want to learn you can learn to program a simple tile based pac man game in one months time. If I can do it I am sure almost anyone can.

Tommaso

Reply 6 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tommaso wrote:

After that, you will need to learn direct x, and I suggest DirectX 7 as there are many books on it that are well documented. After DirectX 8 they moved to 9 and that changed to a totally 3d programing, so its easier to learn 7 first.

By some accounts DirectX 7 support is lacking in current video card drivers. Come to think of it, I might be inclined to recommend Microsoft XNA; if XBox Live Indie Games was any indication, it does not take much skill to get going there.

But then again, the OP (who I guess is never coming back) was referring to "Windows 95", so perhaps DirectX 7 would be entirely appropriate.