VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have anyone managed to run ST 2005 (the first person shooter) in Windows 7?

The game itself works fine but it have Windows Media Video 9 videos as menu background and between levels, and those videos are a white frame on my system. Even when i have installed the official WMV9 codec and LAV filters. When i set XP compatibility the videos are a black frame instead of white, but they dont play.

Any solution?

Reply 2 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stranno wrote:

The game itself works fine but it have Windows Media Video 9 videos as menu background and between levels, and those videos are a white frame on my system. Even when i have installed the official WMV9 codec and LAV filters. When i set XP compatibility the videos are a black frame instead of white, but they dont play.

Any solution?

When having video playback problems one of the first thing you should try is disabling third party filters.

Uninstall WMV9 codec, uninstall LAV filters, uninstall any other codecs you might have installed.

Reply 3 of 9, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
stranno wrote:

Any solution?

When having video playback problems one of the first thing you should try is disabling third party filters.

Uninstall WMV9 codec, uninstall LAV filters, uninstall any other codecs you might have installed.

I have tried first with WMV9 only and it didnt work either. It was bundled with the game i belive. I did the "portable" (files+registry entries) time ago, so i'm not 100% sure.

But it really needs a codec, wmv9 is not hardcoded in the game.

Reply 4 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stranno wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
stranno wrote:

Any solution?

I have tried first with WMV9 only and it didnt work either. It was bundled with the game i belive. I did the "portable" (files+registry entries) time ago, so i'm not 100% sure.

But it really needs a codec, wmv9 is not hardcoded in the game.

Well, you have a problem with codecs: the game works perfectly on Windows 10 stock install. It gives a white screen if I install LAV filters. So it's reasonable to assume that means it doesn't like whatever filter you're using either.

Try playing the video files in a directshow media player (mpc-hc for example, disable internal filters) and see what filters it says it uses. Then use something like this to disable if you can't uninstall:
https://www.codecguide.com/windows7_preferred … ter_tweaker.htm

Reply 5 of 9, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Well, you have a problem with codecs: the game works perfectly on Windows 10 stock install. It gives a white screen if I install LAV filters. So it's reasonable to assume that means it doesn't like whatever filter you're using either.

Try playing the video files in a directshow media player (mpc-hc for example, disable internal filters) and see what filters it says it uses. Then use something like this to disable if you can't uninstall:

Videos are encoded in Windows Media Video 9. I already checked them and WMV is credited in the game. I guess it could be a Windows 7 problem.

Reply 6 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stranno wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Videos are encoded in Windows Media Video 9. I already checked them and WMV is credited in the game. I guess it could be a Windows 7 problem.

How about you do what I suggested and make sure the right filter is set as preferred and you don't have some other installed filter taking over? If you're just going to conclude it's a Windows 7 problem and give up, why ask for help?

Also remove the WMV9 filter. The Microsoft page I found says it's not for Windows 7, presumably Windows 7 has it built in. The download for Windows 2000 might have compatibility problems if you try to install it on a Windows 7 system.

Reply 7 of 9, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

How about you do what I suggested and make sure the right filter is set as preferred and you don't have some other installed filter taking over? If you're just going to conclude it's a Windows 7 problem and give up, why ask for help?

Also remove the WMV9 filter. The Microsoft page I found says it's not for Windows 7, presumably Windows 7 has it built in. The download for Windows 2000 might have compatibility problems if you try to install it on a Windows 7 system.

That codec works fine with MPCHC + game's videos.

2016-10-15_23-52-01.jpg

Reply 9 of 9, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add to this, but I wanted to ask what the game is like? I love first person shooters and I'm always keen to find new (to me) ones. Is it enjoyable, does it have a weapon carrying limit, forced stealth sections (I doubt it, given it's (I assume) about slaughtering tens of thousands of enemies), on rails shooting, etc?