VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i cant sem to acces a old quantum fireball that once used to be c: drive on another windows 98 machine ive treid to recover files lately from it and i did remember to adjust jumper to slave but it sems to cause freezeing on if i try to acces it from the my computer folder, and scandisk cant scan it because of a bad fat file, does anyone know a safe way i can move it over to my main c drive? the drive was also windows 98 but cant sem to read the fat, the computer used to have 2 quantum drives but they where adjusted to master and slave, i could recover fine from the slave but its the master one i have troubel from

Reply 1 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the FAT is unreadable, then you can pretty much give up on recovering any "files". You could try TESTDISK in Linux (or a Linux-based recovery disk).

But otherwise, your only hope is to use a drive imaging program like Partimage, and try to pull out data piece by piece from the image. If a drive imaging program can't get anywhere, then you may need a professional.

Reply 3 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

but i can acces the files fine in command prompt, and run a dos game from it.

Then it seems to me that the FAT isn't bad. What exactly does scandisk say?

Reply 5 of 10, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i was honestly loss on words trying to explain this since it is a fat32 extension, but the strange thing like i said is scandisk couldnt repair it and i can read it fine from the dos prompt.

Reply 7 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've imaged a bad FAT drive a decade ago and could only access it by running Win98 in a VM with it. WinImage couldn't pull the files and neither could any Windows NT/2000/XP when mounted

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

I've imaged a bad FAT drive a decade ago and could only access it by running Win98 in a VM with it. WinImage couldn't pull the files and neither could any Windows NT/2000/XP when mounted

The last time I had a problem like that, running fdisk /mbr solved the problem.

Reply 9 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sammy wrote:

maybe you can add another HDD as slave and then copy the files from the C: to the slave drive in Dos-Prompt

This is what I would do. And fast. If you can only access the hard drive from DOS, then use what you've got to back it up.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 10 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
leileilol wrote:

The last time I had a problem like that, running fdisk /mbr solved the problem.

which didn't for me. Same drive also had a linux ext3 partition

apsosig.png
long live PCem