VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Phlum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 3D Space Invaders remake from 1999 doesn't work too well on my current setup. It works fine in software mode, but on hardware mode it drops frames like a Londoner drops T's.

Video in software mode and hardware mode. It doesn't normally have that audio issue, but it does crash every time. Not fun.

While I can play it fine in software mode and it looks alright, it'd be nice to know why it's running so poorly in hardware. Plus I'd like to get it working with dgVoodoo, if at all possible, because it seems to have no effect at the moment. The game seems to use its own D3D dll (zgld3d.dll), which I can find zero information on.

Last edited by Phlum on 2016-10-24, 21:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Ea511XH.png

Reply 1 of 8, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.mobygames.com/game/space-invaders/techinfo
dgvoodoo is for glide, it says on that site that this works via direct3d only
i take it, that your system is far superior to the minimum spec?

Reply 2 of 8, by Phlum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Far, far superior. I should note that it worked fine under Windows 7 - but I also had a different GPU (Radeon 7870 then, GTX 970 + Win10 now) so that might not mean a whole lot.
I was under the impression that dgVoodoo had different binaries for DirectX.

Ea511XH.png

Reply 4 of 8, by Phlum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Space Invaders uses DX6.1, AFAIK. Problem is, putting the dgVoodoo DLLs into its directory does absolutely nothing...unless I've done it wrong, of course. Am I right in thinking you just drop the three DLLs and the setup EXE into the same folder as the game's EXE file?

Ea511XH.png

Reply 5 of 8, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Phlum wrote:

Space Invaders uses DX6.1, AFAIK. Problem is, putting the dgVoodoo DLLs into its directory does absolutely nothing...unless I've done it wrong, of course. Am I right in thinking you just drop the three DLLs and the setup EXE into the same folder as the game's EXE file?

Yes, but you are doing something wrong as it should work. Can you take a screenshot of the game's directory?

Reply 7 of 8, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That should work. Does dgVoodoo2 work with other games for you? If not

You have changed system DLL load order (like KnownDLLs). Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\KnownDLLs" in registry and check if ddraw.dll is on list, if is - delete it. (KnownDLLs are not searched ie. system always will use a system one, not bundled with app).

check that

make sure to run the config program and enable watermark on the directx tab so you know for sure if it's running dgvoodoo2 or not.

Reply 8 of 8, by Phlum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ARGH! I'm a muppet. I found out what was wrong - looking through the settings I found "passthrough to real DirectX" checked. Silly me!

Thanks for your help, anyway, hopefully someone else will find it useful.

Side note, though, there is a horizontal line across the game. (image) I'm guessing that's to do with running the game at a much higher framerate to what it's supposed to. Can I get rid of it?

Ea511XH.png