VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently found out this long lost reverse engineering "port" for AITD. It runs quite well AITD 1 for its development stage. There's also work for implementing it into the ResidualVM project but everything hasn't moved on for years. I know AITD is not a windows game, but the project runs it on windows and with openGL. It made the game look great. It's worth checking it out for those who are not familiar with it.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fitd/
[Abandonware link deleted by moderator] -> We don't support abandonware/warez or such, sorry.
The second link doesn't contain data files from AITD2 as it suggests, only Free in the Dark compiled for win32.

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've heard of it, but last I heard progress had pretty much stalled.

Last time I checked, I think there may have been slightly more progress on Dream in the Dark, the Dreamcast port.

Reply 2 of 8, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That link wasn't abandonware, it was just Free in the Dark compiled for win32. If it did contain abandonware, I'll attach the file here.

Filename
free-in-the-dark-0.1-win32.zip
File size
354.49 KiB
Downloads
103 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 8, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I asked about it in residualvm forum since there's been some work on it there, but still no reply... I really wish someone could bring it back to life or at least fix the startup crash that happens here 99% of the times... I really liked the Mac version, which ran on higher resolution and had the whole scenery remastered for it on the CD version plus was a lot easier to control since Shift was used for running rather than tapping the up arrow key.

Reply 5 of 8, by Mastran

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

I asked about it in residualvm forum since there's been some work on it there, but still no reply... I really wish someone could bring it back to life or at least fix the startup crash that happens here 99% of the times... I really liked the Mac version, which ran on higher resolution and had the whole scenery remastered for it on the CD version plus was a lot easier to control since Shift was used for running rather than tapping the up arrow key.

The MAC version of AITD had THAT many improvements? I didn`t know, gotta check it out in some videos.

Reply 6 of 8, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mastran wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:

The MAC version of AITD had THAT many improvements? I didn`t know, gotta check it out in some videos.

The only one I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErUT8vE1RRI

Reply 7 of 8, by Mastran

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:
Mastran wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:

The only one I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErUT8vE1RRI

I noticed the somewhat superior rendering of 2D backgrounds and the 3D model of Carnby looks sharper, also the MIDI music sounds different. If i recall correctly, the original AITD only had support for Adlib and Soundblaster.

I prefer the CD Audio Redbook music though, i grew up with it 😊

Reply 8 of 8, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're right and since there's no OPL hardware for Mac, AITD relies on Quicktime MIDI. As you can see in the beginning, 640x400 is chosen for rendering, which is not available in the PC version. It's probably being run under Sheepshaver as one of the side effects were inventory items spinning too fast.