Oldbie

Someone is finally writting an emulator we've been waiting for so long:
https://hackernoon.com/win3mu-part-1-why-im-w … or-2eae946c935d

Reply 2 of 18, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not yet. I'd like to contact him for testing but I have no social networks accounts. If only he knew about this forum I think he would join knowing there are people here who think his idea is great for keeping the old school alive.

Reply 3 of 18, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Not yet. I'd like to contact him for testing but I have no social networks accounts. If only he knew about this forum I think he would join knowing there are people here who think his idea is great for keeping the old school alive.

Register to get early access when it's close to ready.

http://www.win3mu.com/

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 18, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Register to get early access when it's close to ready.

http://www.win3mu.com/

Thanks! I'll register here as well. I also managed to register on the other site using my gmail.

Reply 9 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
filipetolhuizen wrote:

If only he knew about this forum I think he would join knowing there are people here who think his idea is great for keeping the old school alive.

He is probably already receiving death threats from people demanding to run Zombie Wars.

It remains to be seen if this will prove superior to DOSBox+Win3.11, but then it already gets points for not requiring commercial software.

Reply 10 of 18, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:

If only he knew about this forum I think he would join knowing there are people here who think his idea is great for keeping the old school alive.

He is probably already receiving death threats from people demanding to run Zombie Wars.

It remains to be seen if this will prove superior to DOSBox+Win3.11, but then it already gets points for not requiring commercial software.

For my purposes DOSBox+Win3x is not a viable solution. I need something that I can distribute in my installers, which I cannot do with 3x. This would allow me to do installers for the Win16 only games in the Sierra catalog.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I fear for the "special work window's 10 version" dork repacks of every win31 game ever clogging this forum later on.

What i'm really curious is how it handles DLLs, if it'll work fine with old visualbasic trash

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

What i'm really curious is how it handles DLLs, if it'll work fine with old visualbasic trash

Well, Visual Basic 3 only required vbrun300.dll, and Visual Basic 5 was 32-bit only, so I guess the only concern there would be certain VB4 programs?

Reply 13 of 18, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I fear for the "special work window's 10 version" dork repacks of every win31 game ever clogging this forum later on.

He told me already WinG will probably not be supported on initial releases. Don't know about other DLLs.

Reply 15 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tzok wrote:

Theoretically it is possible to compile WINE under Windows x64 using MinGW. If this would succeed then WINE can run Win16 games.

No. People have been talking about this for the past twenty years. If this was at all possible everyone would be doing it already. The WineOnWindows page isn't even on the WINE wiki anymore (though it is archived). WINE is barely capable of running 16-bit Windows programs even in Linux due to recent changes in the kernel.

WineD3D can be compiled for use in Windows, but that is something else entirely.

Reply 17 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DOSwinx wrote:

Good news: "Win3mu" will be Open Source...

Thanks for the news and welcome to Vogons! 😀

DOSwinx wrote:

Could Win3mu code be useful to DOSBox to have Win 3.x emulation support?

Unlikely, I think. Win3Emu is a wrapper with a special, built-in 286 emulation.
Simply said, it maps Win16 calls 1:1 to their respective Win64 equivalents.
So without having a Win32/64 system beforehand to work with, it doesn't work.

If you're looking for a WinBox, have a look at Boxedwine.
danoon decribes it in his own thread here at Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 18 of 18, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DOSwinx wrote:

Good news: "Win3mu" will be Open Source...

Already mentioned here last June: Win3mu Soon OpenSource

Other projects are Winevdm and as mentioned earlier, Boxedwine.