VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Vicxar27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have an Abit-BH6 with Windows 98 installed. When I turn on the computer, thw keyboard is fine. But if I get into Windowa and play Doom or Half Life, the keyboard and mouse stop working, but the game carries on, not accepting input. If any of you know what problem I have, it would be nice to know.

Reply 1 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try a different PS/2 keyboard to see if it still happens. If it does, then it might be a conflicting driver or BIOS setting.

Reply 2 of 10, by Vicxar27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Something I've noticed:

It didn't lock up in Safe Mode. It usually locks up when I'm playing a game or after playing a game. ANd it does this to all of the PS/2 keyboards I have (4).

P.s. Sorry for the bad spelling. Im posting this on a very small keyboard.

Reply 3 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Must be a conflicting driver. Can you post the lines in your config.sys and autoexec.bat? Also a screenshot of your device manager should help.

Reply 4 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vicxar27 wrote:

Something I've noticed:

It didn't lock up in Safe Mode.

Perhaps you have some special program running at Windows startup that specifically tries to take control of the keyboard when playing a game? If there's nothing in your start menu's Startup folder, use Start->Run->msconfig to check what else might be getting loaded.

Reply 5 of 10, by Vicxar27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if I didn't respond immediately, but after tests, the keyboard and mouse also lock up in safe mode, and when i press the reset button on my case(a small red button that deletes everything from ram and returns to bios) the keyboard is still locked up. An unplug and re-plug fix it temporarily, but something i've noticed is that it takes longer to lock up when typing a document than when playing a game. Im thinking of a BIOS change or update, maybe to clear out something in the system, and if that doesn't work, then it's the usb/ps2 to pci adapter's job(i currently dont have one).

Reply 9 of 10, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vicxar27 wrote:

I have an Abit-BH6 with Windows 98 installed. When I turn on the computer, thw keyboard is fine. But if I get into Windowa and play Doom or Half Life, the keyboard and mouse stop working, but the game carries on, not accepting input. If any of you know what problem I have, it would be nice to know.

When this happens, does moving the mouse still work? In other words, if you're in a game like Doom or Half-Life, does moving the mouse still move the view?

I had that problem on my Windows 98SE system, but only with the game Red Faction. The keyboard and mouse worked great in everything else, but when I loaded up Red Faction, after about 2 minutes or so, the keyboard stopped working and so did the mouse buttons. I could still move the view with the mouse, but I couldn't do anything else.

I never did find out what caused it.