VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gagster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally I got this game working again some time ago thanks to the amazing dgVoodoo wrapper that was released some time ago, but it seems that the fun was not meant to last.

For those of you that have played long enough into the game to encounter the Zurg battle, you may notice that this boss, somehow, became unbeatable (unless you exploit the battle with good timed glitches). As I read on the internets, this has been an issue for quite some time, and the only workaround I have read about this far is to use an application to speed-down the CPU below 1ghz (an app called BES, short for Battle Encoder Shirase was mentioned) so that the boss becomes defeatable again.

I have tried this method with no success, and now Zurg just stands there laughing at me for not being able to even touch his metal frame. He just moves far away from the screen, and as the situation is now, I suppose I have to leave this game in the shelf without any working and somewhat accessible solution at hand.

Any suggestions?

CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

Reply 1 of 3, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could it be another issue of the game depending on the framerate? I have not tried it myself for Toy Story 2, but I know DXTory works wonders for limiting framerates for PC games, recently tried it on Lego Island wrapped in dgVoodoo2 and it works how it should with the right framerate value.

Reply 2 of 3, by Gagster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have not tried this yet, but I have my doubts that limiting the fps would work, since when unchecking the "Force Vsync" box in dgvoodoo, Toy Story 2 runs at maybe 20-30 fps and in slow motion, and the boss fight is still bugged.

But I should maybe give it a chance either way; the slow-motion behavior of the game while not forcing vsync may the that the game still maintains a rather high fps, but the game engine gets confused while there's no vsync activated (I should find a way to display the games actual fps).

Edit: Forcing vsync would actually in theory limit the fps to the screens refresh rate. I have mostly played this game on my TV via hdmi, and then I don't get more than 60fps max with vsync on.

CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

Reply 3 of 3, by benwyatt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bumping this thread as I have a solution.

The CPU limiting method used to work in the past, but (presumably) because CPUs are much more powerful now than during the days of Windows 7, this method no longer works.

I heavily limited my CPU to the point I was only getting about 5 to 10 frames per second, which allowed me to get Zurg down to about 10% health (after about 30 minutes of playing and failing terribly) but near the end of the battle he just became impossible to defeat.

So I ended up using memory hacks to give myself an absurdly high amount of lives (you can use a Toy Story 2 trainer for this), then I was able to use the 60FPS method of cornering him, spinning, jumping then not having to worry about falling off and wasting all my lives. It took about 2 minutes to defeat him this way.

This is kind of cheating but there is basically no other way to get past him. I would recommend only giving yourself around 20 lives, because now I am stuck with over 100 lives and a glitched life counter. It would take forever to deliberately kill myself over and over to get back down to the normal 9 lives… but given that I rarely die in normal gameplay, I would never reach game over anyway so I guess it's okay.