VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Destroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone been able to get this combination to work ?

The game starts and I can navigate any of the menus but as soon as you Launch to get into the game world, it will crash with a "mech2.exe has stopped working' error box.

After nearly a full weekend of trying all sorts of configurations, glide2x.dll's, MechVM, wrappers, compatibility modes, etc.; I don't think it is possible. Perhaps it is a nVidia only issue?

I am able to run MW2 3dfx in my VMware player with WinXP loaded but that limits me to a VERY tiny 800x600 window(on my 4k monitor) with most dgVoodoo features inoperable due to what I can guess as no direct connection to the actual video card (GTX970).

From what I understand, all Dos versions work well within Dosbox but I don't have that and I'm not sure there ever was a Dos 3dfx version? I have Ghostbear and Mercenaries also, all of which are windows versions.

Any help or confirmation is appreciated.

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The following is what I did several years ago to get the 3dfx Titanium Windows ver to work. I prefer the DOS ver of MW2 & Mercs.
Mech2VM might be an option as well.

The below was tested on XP 32bit and 2003 64bit.

When installing game choose the hardware acceleration option.

Download Dgvoodoo v1.50Beta 2 or Nglide and extract the files into the game directory.

Adjust the resolution in Dgvoodoo to what resolution you want to run the game in.

Download MW2Hook from here: http://www.warp13.co.uk/mech2. Execute it and point it at the game directory.

Right-click on mech2.exe and apply Windows 95 compatibility mode.

Execute the game using the shortcut on the desktop.

Also download the "View Distance Modifier" from Mech2.org to increase the view distance.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a DOS 3dFX version for sure. MechWarrior 2 is one of my favorite games but I've never tried to run it on anything newer then Windows XP. Windows 10 hasn't been around along enough for the right people to find all the tweaks and whatnot needed to make old software run on it, plus the older it gets the harder that will be so it's possible Mech2 may never work with Windows 10. You might consider putting together some older machines for Retro gaming.

Reply 3 of 3, by Destroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rhuwyn wrote:

You might consider putting together some older machines for Retro gaming.

Yeah, I may end up there. Right now, I'm in the process of trying a Win10 and WinXP dual boot setup. Half the fun is trying to get it to all work.