VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is how SC looks into a virtual machine. Look well because, you arent going to see other shadows. 😀 There is hope yet as some shadows are seen. This means it's not a shadow buffer issue. It's a driver and DX.
x62akGr.jpg

Reply 1 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
daniel_u wrote:
This is how SC looks into a virtual machine. Look well because, you arent going to see other shadows. :) There is hope yet as so […]
Show full quote

This is how SC looks into a virtual machine. Look well because, you arent going to see other shadows. 😀 There is hope yet as some shadows are seen. This means it's not a shadow buffer issue. It's a driver and DX.
x62akGr.jpg

this as "proof" is a little flawed methinks? All Virtual Machines right now for gaming use WINE-like code (actually in most cases, literally WINE code) to wrap Direct3D 9+ calls (and OpenGL calls) to OpenGL... Maybe I misunderstand the point of your comment.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 12, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey I'am not saying that the game works in a VM. I'am saying that some shadows can be seen (and the game was not set for projector shadows).It's set for shadows buffers
My logic is : if some shadows can be seen then with some driver/wrapper fixes it may be possbile to fix the missing shadows. That's all.

Reply 3 of 12, by Kropotkin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Ok I found the video, and you are correct! […]
Show full quote
notindeed wrote:

Are you sure it had the shadows on the vertical plank? From what i remember of your let's play video it had them on the horizontal ones behind it, but on the vertical plank behind the pipe, all the lighting was not there.

Ok I found the video, and you are correct!

This is at 104 x 768 resolution:

bpF2HgP.png

I use dgVoodoo v2.53. It seems to emulate the Geforce 4 Ti correct:

fxnkdcok.png

BUT:

I don't think the light beams are this way correct:

pmjpjl9p.png

7d6htp8h.png

52b998wn.png

"Normal" shadow bug on the dead soldier?

h742xskp.png

?

jecgt4ki.png

54pzk8bx.png

Missing light beams with buffer mode, Kola Cell bonus mission. I'm not surprised. They seem graphical rough overall.

bno85xx7.png

l8rsg45a.png

Reply 7 of 12, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I got the same (with a GeForce 1050 Ti and the lastest dgVoodoo release):
splintercell_2017_01_02_12_13_50_616.png

Do we get someone who can test that spot with a GeForce 4 Ti system?
Shadows are correct but the light shafts penetrate Sam.

And for Kola there's some problems about the lighting system and the camera angle (in some spots):
splintercell_2017_01_02_12_25_58_565.png

splintercell_2017_01_02_12_26_02_233.png

But maybe that point of the map is not intended to be seen in complete dark (there are sensor beams all around switching the lights on).

Reply 8 of 12, by Kropotkin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

🤣 for the nick, new comrade user 😁 Welcome!

Lol thank you.

lowenz wrote:

Yes, I got the same (with a GeForce 1050 Ti and the lastest dgVoodoo release) [...]

Okay. I have a Radeon HD 4870. It's the same with the penetrating light shafts in the Playstation 3-version of the game.

lowenz wrote:

But maybe that point of the map is not intended to be seen in complete dark (there are sensor beams all around switching the lights on).

I do not understand.

Reply 9 of 12, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That part of Kola is AFTER a well hidden motion laser sensor (you can jump on the wall to avoid it but it's unlikely to be seen the first time you play the map). Passing through the sensor activates the lights.

Reply 10 of 12, by Kropotkin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Simulation of glass without glass:

3gesh27z.png

Shadows fade out on this spot:

thojj7wt.png

sv3o4uhf.png

lowenz wrote:

That part of Kola is AFTER a well hidden motion laser sensor (you can jump on the wall to avoid it but it's unlikely to be seen the first time you play the map). Passing through the sensor activates the lights.

There must be light beams with lights on too.

Good game but questionable portation. Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance (Xbox-portation too) has less problems today. 😘

Reply 12 of 12, by Kropotkin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On the grid is no glass. That is correct but the game attaching this kind of reflection mapping to the grid, you find it otherwise on windows.
But it seems weird on the Xbox (or is it Xbox 360?) too: https://youtu.be/AivID1nVcCs?t=12m38s.