VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by LoneKiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi to all,

I am still trying to have You are Empty (2006 game) work on my PC. Game installs fine and all programs like OpenAl are installed perfectly. Here are my specs:

Intel Quad Core CPU 2.5Ghz
8GB RAM
ATI Radeon 5780 with 11.15 Drivers installed
SO Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I can run the game if I select Windows XP Compatibility mode or disabling visual themes in the Compatibility tab of the exe (this is needed, or the game crashes immediately). Main menu is OK, I can setup the game and select New Game. After that the intro is played.

Immediately after the intro, the screen goes black, no audio is present and I have to Alt-Tab out of it.

I tried all possible compatibility modes, none is working. I also have the same effect by using VMWare with Windows XP installed so I do not htink it is connected to Win7, more probably to video drivers. Game is also Directx9 so DgVoodoo cannot help.

The game was perfect on my old Pentium4 with XP, but now I am running out of ideas....
Any suggestion is very appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Lone Killer

Reply 1 of 6, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried the patches yet? Never played this game so have no idea if these will help you. Tried downloading some of them and most have virus warnings and look to be Russian patches.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/You_Are_Empty

Also, if you search, there is talk about a 1.3 unofficial patch, BUT some warn of viruses on that as well.

Also found numerous threads talking about texture problems with newer graphics drivers. May want to try various tools like dgVoodoo and DXGL to see if those help if you run into those issues. That's all I got. Good luck.

You may end up having to run this in a VM in the end.

Reply 2 of 6, by LoneKiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi liqmad,

yes tried with patches (European version have 1.2 included, only 1.3 missing).

I also tried dgVoodoo but game is DirectX 9 so it is not supported. Do not know DXGL but I will check it out, it seems to be DDraw so not sure but worth a try.

Since VMWare is not working, do you have any VM suggestion I can try? Maybe something with a better 3D support?

Many thanks.

Lone Killer

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I changed the topic title since it was starting to make me think deep thoughts.....questions best left unanswered. heh

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 6, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LoneKiller wrote:
Hi liqmad, […]
Show full quote

Hi liqmad,

yes tried with patches (European version have 1.2 included, only 1.3 missing).

I also tried dgVoodoo but game is DirectX 9 so it is not supported. Do not know DXGL but I will check it out, it seems to be DDraw so not sure but worth a try.

Since VMWare is not working, do you have any VM suggestion I can try? Maybe something with a better 3D support?

Many thanks.

Lone Killer

Humor me and copy the ddraw.dll from the MS folder in dgVoodoo v2.53 to the root folder where the game exe lives and run the game. Any difference? It will probably be stretched if it is in 4:3, but does it come up now?

Reply 6 of 6, by LoneKiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good Day,

th situation improved, since the game do not crash anymore at startup without Compatibility. But game still has black screen after intro.

I will try using DgVoodoo DDraw.dll in VMWare installation, maybe can fix. I also found game log file, I will try posting it if VMWare experiment is not successfull.

Many thanks for now.

Lone Killer