VOGONS

Common searches

Need for Speed 2 on modern computer?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Sandi1987

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there any way to play this game in Windows 8.1 x64 without nGlide?

Reply 2 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sandi1987 wrote:

Is there any way to play this game in Windows 8.1 x64 without nGlide?

Yes, but there's no reason to.

You really need to specify why not nGlide so we can suggest solutions without the problems you're encountering with nGlide. Do you need to play the software version? Don't you have a D3D9 capable GPU? Or do you have a system too slow otherwise for nGlide?

Reply 4 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Software mode offers in-car cockpit view, which the Glide version does not.

Have you tried using the Direct3D wrapper from dgVoodoo2?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 7 of 11, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the problem is garbled colours, DirectDraw Compatibility Tool is what you need.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 11, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a hell of a time to get NFS2SE to run properly on my dual-core, WinXP Pro, SP3 system.

The game ran, but as soon as I got close to other cars on the track, it want into slow-motion. It didn't matter whether I used the Glide or software version, or what glide wrapper I used. After much Googling, I found some settings for the Application Compatibility Toolkit that fixed the Glide version, but the software version still ran like crap. After a lot more Googling and a lot of trial and error, I finally managed to get the software version working as well. It's been a while, but I THINK these are the settings that I used;

EmulateCDFS
EmulateGetDiskFreeSpace
GlobalMemoryStatusLie
IgnoreException
MapMemoryB0000
SingleProcAffinity

Reply 10 of 11, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah, had to run it in VMWare, with application compatibility toolkit with the patches above applied, also directsound acceleration disabled in dxdiag, and I think I used dgvoodoo2 as well for the glide version as the software version was broken as fuck... This game really hates modern PCs, you might be best off building a win98 retro PC for games like this.

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project