VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nazo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of the things that has annoyed me about this game is how badly it has aged 3D acceleration-wise. For the longest time it would bring any ATi videocard that was three or four times more powerful than the game could even fully utilize to its knees crying. ATi finally fixed whatever they had changed that broke things so badly with the game, but only just barely. It still doesn't implement the pixel shader effects well and some things cause serious problems like the capes. All this ran great on hardware of the game's time, but the OEMs don't particularly care about old games and do only the bare minimum to maintain driver support (plus the game is guilty of doing some stuff it shouldn't have of course.)

And then it struck me: what about a wrapper? Wrappers can be great about maintaining backwards compatibility. I've been using Glide wrappers for ages in particular with excellent results (especially in games like Diablo II which actually doesn't just look worse but actually runs worse in anything other than Glide.) In fact, upon googling I immediately ran across WineD3D which sounds like it could be amazing for Direct3D games (saved on the harddrive for later!) I haven't been as successful with OpenGL though. I found TitaniumGL which couldn't enable "shiny water" (shaders) in accelerated mode and had serious issues (texture alignments, blurry, etc) besides. In software mode it could do that, but everything looked really messed up. I found a thread on this forum (yeah, I had forgotten the forum existed I'm forced to admit. Sorry!) about various wrappers and was going through them somewhat, but for the most part didn't have a lot of luck. Except not many had actual links. The SwiftShader one looked pretty interesting and it could run the game, but no "shiny water" and the moment I started the actual game it ran at about 1 FPS. Well, it's software. I guess I need OpenGL to Direct3D wrapping. But something that can implement the stuff it needs for the shaders and such.

Might anyone happen to know of any that might be able to handle this?

Reply 1 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there is gl direct (dont know if it works with nwn)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gldirect/

Are you affected by the ati opegl firmware bug ?
https://fixthe200m.wordpress.com/about/

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was going to suggest QindieGL, which I saw mentioned along with Neverwinter Nights recently.

Turns out it was a bad mention.

Re: The Wrapper Collection Project

The "Wrapper Collection Project" thread is mine, and yeah, I need to update it and release the results. It's gonna be a bit of work tho...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 8, by Nazo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, good to hear that it's not completely dead anyway, 🤣. It's surprisingly hard to find this sort of thing though. For one thing, it's almost universally the other way... I search "opengl to direct3d wrapper" and get tons of Direct3D to OpenGL wrappers. Even if I use quotes. 😒 I don't like that some like TitaniumGL are commercial only too. For something with such a long way to go, it seems they jumped the gun a little... People are posting the SciTech one and serial numbers for it since it's completely abandoned with the company dying and all, but I couldn't even get it to run (immediate error about being unable to register a file or something. I'm guessing it's intended for Windows 9x or at least much earlier versions of Windows than the 7 that I'm currently running.)

I do dream of some day where a legacy Windows gaming capable emulation software exists. Hopefully the future of Dosbox-X. Such a long way away though. Meanwhile older Windows games work less and less with more and more issues. I guess people won't truly recognize the problem until a good large number of them are outright unplayable on modern systems even with tweaks and tricks. In the meantime, I think wrappers often do a good job of bridging the gap.

Davros wrote:

there is gl direct (dont know if it works with nwn)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gldirect/

Guess there's one sure way to find out. I'll give it a look later today when I can.

Are you affected by the ati opegl firmware bug ?
https://fixthe200m.wordpress.com/about/

No. Just drivers made by people that don't give a crap about older games. Well... To be fair, the game itself probably uses shortcuts and tricks it shouldn't be using from what I understand, but when I first played it I played it with a Radeon 9600 Pro and it was pretty ok with all the effects on. I think the worst problems came with an update to the game actually, but later on I had an X850XT-PE and even with shaders off the game could bring that videocard to its knees. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it, but for its time that thing was probably the most powerful card in the market. (I was still on AGP and didn't want to change every single component to go to PCI-E, so went with that to buy myself some time.)

Reply 4 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

pcem is the closest so far although you'll need a powerful computer to emulate even a p200. The developer mentioned that for the forseeable future a p3-600 will probably be the max so you're SOL as far as that goes.

I've never had an issue with NWN but I haven't touched it since the last expansion came out.

Isn't there a Linux ver of NWN?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 8, by Nazo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

I've never had an issue with NWN but I haven't touched it since the last expansion came out.

The biggest issues were introduced with a later patch as I recall. And if you turn off pixel shaders for the most part it runs decently -- though still not as well as it should by far given the difference in hardware then compared to hardware now...

Isn't there a Linux ver of NWN?

Yes. And it's dynamically linked against really ancient libraries, so it's so hard to get working well that most people recommend using WINE with the Windows version.

Reply 6 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What about the GOG release? Do they do anything special to it?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC NWN's bump effect for the water uses Nvidia-exclusive extensions and never worked at all on Radeons. It's also unlikely PCem will emulate the Geforce3-minimum card required for the effect.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 8, by Nazo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a feeling it was something like that. Still, before whichever patch made things so horrible, it actually ran tolerably on a Radeon 9600 Pro. Not ideally and sometimes framerates could drop low enough to make the game crash (yeah, it crashes if the framerate gets too low. Lovely) but overall amazingly well for a midrange at best videocard. Perhaps there were some effects outright disabled on ATi cards, but I do know it did do shaders on that 9600 Pro. Water works and I think maybe I had even used it with the cloaks that came later (not sure about the later edge of the game's life. I had a nVidia videocard in between the 9600 Pro and the X850XT-PE.)

clueless1 wrote:

What about the GOG release? Do they do anything special to it?

Nothing. You just get the Diamond Edition as-is with the latest patch applied. But if there were some sort of third party patch or something I'd just apply it manually myself. Sadly, there is no easy solution here. Most just turn off the shaders and get by. And I won't claim the game is like Morrowind with shaders or something. I just don't like that I can't even get it to do what it did back then no matter what I do (short of building an old machine with a 9800 Pro and old drivers using money I don't have and space I can't really spare.)