VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was just running F1 99 on PC, and whilst the game launches fine (intro video is Indeo 3.2 or something ancient), the track preview videos don't display (as use Indeo 5.1) and the error message that they can't be played is crashing the game (whether using native D3D or dgVoodoo2 DX wrapper). This must be a recent change to Win10, as it was working a few months ago!

Anyway I had the crazy idea to re-author the videos as either ancient Indeo 3.2 or maybe something newer (has to be .avi) but I'm not sure what software to use. Adobe Media Encoder won't load the Indeo 5 videos.

I read online about re-activating the Indeo 5 codec using a regsrvr command, but that just throws an error now.

Any ideas about what I can use to re-author the videos? Or any way to get Indeo 5.1 to work in latest Win10? The game works fine, but you can't choose a circuit to race at!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I might try an old copy of Adobe Premiere 5.1 RT on WinXP later, to see if it allows conversion. Unless anyone knows a better program (ideally free)?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2 of 15, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Virtualdub is free and allow conversion to any codec installed.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Virtualdub just says: "Couldn't located decompressor for format 'IV50' (Indeo Video 5.x)", requiring a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec, and that DirectShow codecs (i.e. used by Windows Media Player) are not suitable.

I think I'll have to try on WinXP.

Reply 5 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay it seems to convert to Indeo 3.2 in VirtualDub on a virtual XP machine (lol) so will see where that gets me.

Reply 6 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I read online about re-activating the Indeo 5 codec using a regsrvr command, but that just throws an error now.

What error (and why do I have to ask)?

I'm at work now, it was some alphanumeric thing. I think I did register Indeo on Win8.1 fine, and it was working on Win10 but since recent updates (I assume) it's borked.

Reply 7 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If anyone else has Formula 1 99 (by Psygnosis) then see if you can run the videos in the Avi folder (or if they work in-game, apart from the intro video).

Reply 8 of 15, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems that ffdshow (32 bit) should be able to decode Indeo 5 (so Virtualdub can use it to reencode the videos). Also, if you are brave enough to use a command line program, ffmpeg can convert IV50 videos. It can read Indeo videos, but I don't know if it can write back to IV32.
Also keep in mind that VLC player can play those videos without codecs or filters... trying to play the videos may not be a good test.

Reply 9 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I successfully converted the Indeo 5.1 videos back to Indeo 3.2, which is what the (working) F1 99 vintro video uses. Will see if the game accepts them later, or not...

Reply 10 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

What error (and why do I have to ask)?

It says:

"RegSvr32

The module "ir50_32.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8000ffff.

For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term."

Reply 11 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

p.s. converting them to Indeo 3.2 worked, but they're really flickery (possible something I shouldn't have selected in VirtualDub). Will try again later.

Reply 13 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I launch a command window, go into C:\windows\SysWOW64 and run: regsvr32 ir50_32.dll

If I try to unregister it with regsvr32 /u ir50_32.dll then I get a similar message, but referring to DllUnregisterServer instead.

Reply 14 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ahh just Googled it, I needed to launch command prompt as Administrator, Indeo 5 now works again!

Although the videos still flicker, but at least I can choose a track now!

Reply 15 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought of asking you if you did it with elevated privileges, but assumed that you would have known to do so. Good to know that they have not made it even harder to activate it in Win10.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers