VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by barfingjake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've scoured the internet trying to find a solution to this problem, but I haven't had any luck whatsoever.

The game starts with no sound. The only sound is briefly heard when you start a new game, right when the opening Star Wars crawl starts. It's only about a second of audio, that continues to occasionally loop. Other than that, nothing.

I have literally tried almost everything. I've tried changing different audio codecs, different sound hardware, speakers, notching down hardware acceleration,
installed from two different copies to see if mine was defective- it wasn't. I've tried just about every tweak I could think of or read about. Nothing works.

What's bizarre is that Rogue Squadron 3D runs fine with sound, which I don't understand. They both use the same sound system, MusyX I believe.

I feel like it might be a Direct X issue or a multicore issue, but I don't know enough about that. The game was Direct X 8.0. I've tried disabling a core in the task manager, but it just freezes the whole desktop.

This is the only game I've had this problem with. No sound in game, but desktop and everything else has sound while it's running.
If anybody can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

System specs-

XP SP3
4 GB DDR2
Intel Pentium D 3.4GHZ Dual Core
GeForce GT 730
Intel Chipset sound (also tried running it through Nvidia HD audio via HDMI)

Reply 2 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried dgVoodoo? (Yes, it would be strange for the graphics drivers to be interfering with sound playback, but I have seen something like that happen before.)

barfingjake wrote:

I've tried disabling a core in the task manager, but it just freezes the whole desktop.

You mean by setting the affinity for the process?

Reply 3 of 16, by barfingjake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried using dgvoodoo with Rogue Squadron when I was trying to get it to run in a higher resolution, but I couldn't get it to work. Is there a version that's compatible with XP? I did try wine with the game, but it didn't do anything.

And yes, I set the affinity to one core. It just crashes the game and the whole desktop freezes for some reason.

Reply 4 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The desktop-freezing thing is strange. Perhaps it would work better if you used a utility that sets the affinity before the process is launched?

I forget what the optimal way of doing that is. A moment of Googling suggests http://www.adsciengineering.com/StartAffinity/ and https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1393 .

Reply 5 of 16, by barfingjake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried THG, but it doesn't work. I do everything instructed, but the program just starts with both cores set. I can't figure out how to use StartAffinity at all. They gave little to no instructions on what I'm supposed to do. Too confusing for me.

I even tried setting it to one core in the shortcut target, but it just flashes the command prompt and does nothing. The game doesn't even start.

What sucks is that I really think that is what's causing the sound issue, because I disable one of the cores while the game was running with Process Hacker, and waited (for about an hour) for the game to go to the menu, because disabling a core causes so much of a performance drop that's unplayable. But I did however hear some of the menu music, a second of it looping over and over again.

I don't know what to do about this game.

Reply 6 of 16, by barfingjake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I just tried another program, called Launch N' Set. It allowed me to start the game with only one core set.

UNFORTUNATELY, the performance still dropped significantly, and there was still no sound. 😒

I don't know, this game seems to use quite a lot of the CPU. It's usually maxxed out at about 99% in the task manager. 17 year old game doing this doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Reply 7 of 16, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok I've just tried naboo on xp sp3
dell latitude d430 (dual core) https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-d … e-series/specs/
and it works fine there is no dual core problem
back in the day I played it on a hyperthreaded cpu

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 9 of 16, by barfingjake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had it disabled on my old video card, and I think there was still no sound. However, after upgrading to a GT 730, I tried to disable the Nvidia HD audio, and I got a BSD.

I will try it again.

Reply 10 of 16, by barfingjake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it didn't BSD this time after disabling them. But still no sound.

Of the 50 or so games I have installed on my PC, this is the only one to do this. I really don't get it. The game itself runs fine, I've even got it running in 1920x1080. But there's just no sound.

Reply 13 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you ever been able to get the game to run correctly, i.e. by disabling sound entirely?

I might suggest trying to get a cheap USB sound device. (There's not necessarily anything wrong with those.)

Reply 15 of 16, by barfingjake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

USB sound device? I'm not familiar, like an adapter?

I forgot to mention that I've run the game through both onboard sound and through my TV via HDMI (from the NVIDIA card). Both had no sound output.

I've reinstalled the Intel drivers and Direct X 9.0c, but it did nothing.