VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pentium 166MMX PC with Creative Voodoo 2 12MB running Win98SE using latest 3dfx drivers (voodoo2-30202). I installed shareware version of quake (quake106), and installed latest version of glquake (glq1114.exe) on top of it.

I first installed glquake with the minigl driver. Upon launch it did its usual palette shenanigans and I got to see the 3dfx intro, then black screen.. nothing. ALT-TAB des not work but I can CTRL-ALT-DEL, End Task, get popup asking if I really want to quit, If I say No I go back to black screen but hear the game sounds of the demo playing.

I then wiped the folder clean, removed the drivers, rebooted and reinstalled the drivers, reinstalled the game and glquake but this time without the minigl driver. Upon launch, glquake failed and complained about not being in a 65536 color mode, so I set the desktop to 16-bit, relaunched. This time it did the palette shenanigans, changed resolution but got stuck there. No 3dfx logo, no nothing. ALT-TAB failed, CTRL-ALT-DEL, End Task gave me the same popup. If I say no, I return to the 640x480 desktop with a looped gamesound - the game is stuck.

What am I doing wrong? glquake doesn't work with the sw release?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Resolved by obtaining a retail version that comes with winquake and glquake included; the glquake.exe on the retail version works with the retail pak file. Strangely enough the shareware version does not play nice with glquake no matter what switch I use.. I can swear they used to be compatible and I used it for LAN gaming, whatever has changed, I do not know..

For a moment I thought my V2 had kicked the bucket. But it works!Phew!'

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 3, by CU-133A+

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try renaming opengl32.dll to something different (bkup_opengl32.dll for example) and loading GLQuake.

Doesn't always work, but I've found the supplied OpenGL lib and Voodoo cards don't always work perfectly.