VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm talking about the first Heroes of Might and Magic.

Years ago, when I played it on my Pentium 100 with Windows 95, I couldn't get the game's CD-quality music to run. The game gave me error message that it couldn't play CD music, so I only got low quality music. The Pentium 100's CD player was connected using internal cable to the PC's Sound Blaster Vibra 16, by the way. But try as I might, I just couldn't get the game's CD-quality music to play, although I could play the CD tracks outside the game using Windows' CD Player program.

Fast forward to 2006, I tried the game on a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP SP2, and I couldn't get CD music either. As years went by, I changed laptops, but was sticking to Windows XP SP2. And none could play the game's CD-quality music. I have tried compatibility mode back and forth --I even tried the game without compatibility mode. And I still couldn't get the game's CD-quality music to play.

Now I was playing the game using lowly AMD Athlon II PC in my garage. Yes, AMD Athlon II X2 250 3 GHz, with 2 GB of RAM, Biostar A780L3G motherboard, Windows XP SP 2. And now I get the game's CD quality music! 😲 🤣

Could anyone tell me what's going on? Anyone had similar experience?

By the way, the garage computer is connected to a vintage Sansui A-40 integrated amplifier and JBL L20T high-fidelity loudspeakers, so it's really listening bliss when playing the game. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't remember Heroes I having any music other than CD music. Heroes II did have two options (MIDI and CD). One of us must not be remembering it correctly. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:

I don't remember Heroes I having any music other than CD music. Heroes II did have two options (MIDI and CD). One of us must not be remembering it correctly. 😀

Heroes of Might and Magic has two music options: 8 bit mono and CD stereo. On various systems, from Windows 98-based Pentium 100 to Windows XP laptops, I have never been able to use CD stereo music --the game always gives me error message that it's unable to play CD music. However, in this lowly AMD system, I could play it without problem.

It should be noted that I have never had any trouble playing Heroes II of Might and Magic CD music --on any system.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 3 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What sound card was in the laptop and the Athlon II? Maybe the game had some issue with the Vibra and whatever was in the laptop, but not with the card in the Athlon II.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

What sound card was in the laptop and the Athlon II? Maybe the game had some issue with the Vibra and whatever was in the laptop, but not with the card in the Athlon II.

Well, the various laptops use typical Realtek AC97 on-board sound, and Heroes of Might and Magic cannot play CD music --only 8 bit stereo.

The lowly Athlon II PC also uses typical Realtek AC97 on-board sound, and it is successful in playing Heroes of Might and Magic CD music. In fact, this is the very first time I could play HOMM CD music. It's totally unexpected. I thought I had to cope with 8 bit music as usual, but this time, it's CD stereo all the way!

Reply 5 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps the game uses a faulty method of trying to decide which drive letter has the CD music, and your Athlon just happens to have everything set up right? One hard drive on C, one CD drive on D, and no other letters?

Reply 6 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Perhaps the game uses a faulty method of trying to decide which drive letter has the CD music, and your Athlon just happens to have everything set up right? One hard drive on C, one CD drive on D, and no other letters?

That's what I thought as well. After all, certain games require the CD to be placed in drive D: in order to play Red Book audio CD. Examples are Warlords III: Reign of Heroes (Windows) and Archimedean Dynasty (DOS games). However, my Pentium 100, which wasn't unable to play Heroes of Might and Magic's CD music during gameplay, had its CD ROM drive designated as D:\. The various Windows XP laptops I had, which weren't unable to play the game's CD music either, had varying drive letter for its CD/DVD drive. I have tried physical drive and NRG image, while also experimented with various drive letters for CD ROM, to no avail.

This time, I use NRG image and mount it to Nero Image Drive, designated as G:\., and CD music works! 🤣

Reply 7 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently came back to this topic and stumbled on the following thread:
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TI … 304&PID=1051082

Based on that, it looks like CD music (actual Red Book tracks) is only present in the Windows version. However, the original (pre-Compendium) DOS versions 1.0-1.2 featured 16-bit stereo music (not as CD audio, but as higher quality music files). However, the Heroes DOS version 1.3 (Compendium) release did away with that and only left the 8-bit mono music for DOS, while the Windows version still utilizes the CD tracks.

So I assume that you are playing the Windows version? Or if it's the DOS version, do you have the HEROES**.62S files under the SOUND directory?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

cd players have 2 audio conections an analog and a digital did you have both connected ?
also in control panel there is an enable digital audio check box

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness