VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Lgmc7r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Im trying to start empire earth 1 from windows 98 lite but any windows image that works is fine. When using ready .img like w95 or w98 lite that boots into windows, then when trying to start installed Empire earth, it gives these errors: MSVCP60.DLL missing or MSVCRT.DLL; if you add them to the game folder then it says msvcrt.dll is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL. The game folder is added on another virtual drive but that is not the problem. Is there anything that can start this game from windows via dosbox? I'm testing it for dosbox turbo later on android, the results of dosbox and turbo are the same when it comes to working or not (if diablo 2 can run on android memory-wise, EE should be ok too but the missing files..?)

Reply 2 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lgmc7r wrote:

When using ready .img like w95 or w98 lite that boots into windows

So you're using these .img files with DOSBox? You can expect all sorts of problems when running Win9x from DOSBox; such a configuration is not generally supported here.

then when trying to start installed Empire earth, it gives these errors: MSVCP60.DLL missing or MSVCRT.DLL; if you add them to the game folder then it says msvcrt.dll is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL.

You probably have the wrong version of those DLLs somewhere or another. Since you did not make these .img files yourself, there's no way of knowing.

Reply 3 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't.

The prospect of playing Empire Earth in DOSbox (or any emulator) is blind and very misguided.

Empire Earth requires a DX8-compatible video card which can support 3d accellerated 1024x768x16 at the least. DOSbox doesn't emulate this. PCem doesn't emulate this*. Bochs doesn't emulate this. Qemu doesn't emulate this. Certainly, nothing at all on Android can ever hope to emulate this.

fwiw EE can run in Win7 on modern x86 PC hardware still. You can forget about running it (or any Windows 9X game) on android. Videos showing Win95 or better working on a phone are just show-offs for view revenue. It's nowhere near functional.

p.s. Empire Earth automatically installs these DLLs proper. Sounds like you're playing some downloaded illegal rip copy.

*-S3 Virge can do it, but there's color corruption and it'll hang. don't do it

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 8, by Lgmc7r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

^ Are you mad or something? I installed EE and no it doesn't come with these DLL's. How does it work without them on Win10 then? I didn't use some preinstalled files in a folder. You may be right about the part that it's not certain if EE can work ( I have yet to see it from anyone), but I wouldn't be shutting down the opportunity so quickly if other games work. Also you generalize that no windows game can work from dosbox from android when it was proven with diablo 2 and Fallout 2 and others back 3 years ago!! There was video from 2014 with Diablo 1, Diablo 2, the game was a bit laggy but surprisingly worked. With newer phones it could work even better. To say that this is 'just some people to show off' doesnt sound you know much about windows games from dosbox but for EE it's a question.

If diablo 2 can work, perhaps someone can do it for EE as well
http://i.imgur.com/1ZvV6RG.png

Jorpho wrote:

So you're using these .img files with DOSBox? You can expect all sorts of problems when running Win9x from DOSBox; such a configuration is not generally supported here.

I tried with an install iso that failed. I will try with some win98 to see if this is a problem in the registry.

ZellSF wrote:

Will try it too thanks

On a side note im surprised how well EE works on Win10 when in Win8 was terribly glitchy and the screen was blinking. But that on mobile is something I want to see.

Reply 5 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mr. Leilei is most likely correct. The original release of Diablo 2 used DirectX 7 ( http://home.scarlet.be/~tsc87278/d2/d2/minreq.htm ); that image you posted appears to relate to the version currently available from Blizzard.

Lgmc7r wrote:

I installed EE and no it doesn't come with these DLL's.

It seems unlikely that the game's developers would ship the game without including some vital component required to get it running. It's possible that these .img files you picked up from somewhere already included the wrong versions of these DLLs, and that the game's installer subsequently did not overwrite them. That's the sort of thing that can happen when you start using packages someone else prepared.

How does it work without them on Win10 then?

If they're really not supplied by the game's installer, then Windows 10 probably includes its own copies of the appropriate DLLs somewhere.

I will try with some win98 to see if this is a problem in the registry.

It probably isn't.

Reply 6 of 8, by Lgmc7r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried a fresh win98 SE install and as i read somewhere it gives a lot of errors but starts windows, even tho explorer also crashes, files can be browsed from Run menu. With EE from Gog the setup asks for newer version of windows. With copied folder from the installed EE from gog, it asks for the same DLL files.

I hope someone creates an appl like like Winulator something that can run these games, or through dosbox, so far this failed, EE is a great game that would be nice to see on mobile, i've seen newer 3D games working on phone or tablet even maybe EE works, there must be a way for this too.

Reply 8 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lgmc7r wrote:

With EE from Gog the setup asks for newer version of windows. With copied folder from the installed EE from gog, it asks for the same DLL files.

When you said "I didn't use some preinstalled files in a folder", I assumed you were using an original Empire Earth CD. If you are using the GOG version, then there may very well be some components missing, as whoever made that package definitely did not intend if for people to use it under Win9x (hence the "newer version of Windows" message). Did you try the link that ZellSF supplied?

I hope someone creates an appl like like Winulator something that can run these games, or through dosbox, so far this failed, EE is a great game that would be nice to see on mobile

The amount of interest in any such program would be staggering. There are all kinds of important commercial and business apps that people would be falling over each other to get running in Android. That no such "Winulator something" exists already should indicate to you that it is unlikely any such thing will ever appear.