VOGONS

Common searches

MS Office issue

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by justlu542

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My current issue: I cannot open Microsoft Word documents without it crashing.  Here is the error that appears after Word crashes: Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. Can any one explain the source of this error? how to open Word?

I am on Windows 8.1
MS Office 2010

Reply 3 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Besides, this is the most generic possible explanation of an "error". You will get nowhere in any forum with only that information, unless you actually try to fix the problem yourself (reinstall office? Hello?) so you run into problems that would be more telling.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 11, by MordekaiZeyo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would suggest to open the Event Viewer via right click on Windows 8.1 start button and check it there for appcrash log.

-> Windows Protocols
---> Application

App crash will be listed there with a yellow exclamation mark if it's something wrong.

Intel Pentium 3-S 1266Mhz | 512 MB DDR-400 @SD-RAM PC133 | Elitegroup P6S5AT | Galaxy Geforce 6600 GT AGP @4x AGP | Terratec Xfire 1024 PCI Soundcard with Dreamblaster X2
Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Reply 9 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree that it is very strange that you would come to this forum, of all places, for help with Microsoft Office 2010 on Windows 8.1. How did you get here?

I might suspect that you have some kind of virus, but I would expect a re-install of Office to fix that.

Does this error only appear when you double-click on a Word document? Can you open Word directly from the Start menu?