Common searches

Old Games best way to play?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In theory, someone could create Win9x guest additions for VirtualBox. Or at least a graphics driver (the 3D WinXP drivers are/were WineD3D based).
But it would have to be someone from the community, since the VirtualBox developers care little for Windowx 9x
(understandable, they have orders to implement stuff the paying customers want).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 21 of 24, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
Virtualization has compatibility issues. WINE has compatibility issues. Emulation has performance issues. Using old hardware has […]
Show full quote

Virtualization has compatibility issues.
WINE has compatibility issues.
Emulation has performance issues.
Using old hardware has performance issues.
Using new hardware has compatibility issues.

Oh and everything has both compatibility and performance issues, I just wrote down what the largest problem is for all of them. There is no universal "best way".

I would search for the best software solution on a per game basis and if you can't find it... time to invest in some hardware.

To be fair i've encountereed VERY few games from mid to late 90's that have 3D acceleration support and don't work in WINE

Reply 22 of 24, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bladeforce wrote:

To be fair i've encountereed VERY few games from mid to late 90's that have 3D acceleration support and don't work in WINE

Depending on your platform.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers