VOGONS

Common searches

Old Games best way to play?

Topic actions

First post, by Sandi1987

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which is the best way to play old Windows 98/XP games?

Reply 1 of 24, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With passion and nostalgia.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 24, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In tandem with plenty of coffee & donuts! Probably not the answer you're looking for but the question is a bit "wide open".

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 5 of 24, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why I will never give up my Windows 7 machine that pretty much runs anything (with the help from utilities like dgVoodoo). If you really love retro PC gaming I would have a dual boot config or another machine just for your retro PC gaming.

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-06-07, 19:39. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 6 of 24, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

With passion and nostalgia.

buckeye wrote:

In tandem with plenty of coffee & donuts! Probably not the answer you're looking for but the question is a bit "wide open".

🤣. made my day.

Reply 7 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sandi1987 wrote:

I mean in Windows 10. PCem is slow. VMware not working good in older 3D games (only Software Mode). VirtualBox doesn't have 3D Acceleration.

If your motherboard supports virtualization and hardware passthrough, you should be able to at least have hardware acceleration in VMWare with XP as long as your hardware has drivers for XP. Most games written for XP should just work though.

With Windows 98 you are pretty much hosed for hardware acceleration as any newer hardware is not going to have drivers for Windows 9x.

So yeah, redone games from GoG and/or build yourself a retro box for games that will not work.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 24, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another "probably not the answer you're looking for" but I'm not joking: Fastest available period correct hardware.
The above is solely based on your thread's title, even though I'm assuming from your later post that you're referring to windows games.

Reply 12 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:

Why I will never give up my Windows 7 machine that pretty much runs anything (with the help from utilities like dgVoodoo).

Yup, Win 7 can be seen as the peak in Windows technology. And like with any other technology at this point, there's just one path that is leading further - the path downwards. 😉

liqmat wrote:

If you really love retro PC gaming I would have a dual boot config or another machine just for your retro PC gaming.

Or run an virtualization software with PCI or PCIe pass-trough. If your machine can do that and has one or two spare PCI slots,
just add a vintage gfx card and a sound card. Maybe, you can even share (switch) the host gfx card between guest/host (not tried).
Anyway, just imagine it to be similar to the more common USB pass-through thing. ^^
Some monitors are even smart enough to swich different inputs automatically, so there's no KVM switch
(not to be confused with KVM virtual software) necessary.
Wait, here's a bunch of sample videos. One of them is hopefully the right one, haha! 😊

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsDUtzMkxFk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2xpxkhitk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17qxEpn4EGs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
buckeye wrote:

Bladeforce wrote:

Or wine 😀 No need for many of those patches or worrying about 3d acceleration not working in wine

I'd prefer something a bit more salty and replace wine with single malt 😀
Or Irish Coffee 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 24, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Virtualization has compatibility issues.
WINE has compatibility issues.
Emulation has performance issues.
Using old hardware has performance issues.
Using new hardware has compatibility issues.

Oh and everything has both compatibility and performance issues, I just wrote down what the largest problem is for all of them. There is no universal "best way".

I would search for the best software solution on a per game basis and if you can't find it... time to invest in some hardware.

Reply 17 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

List these "older windows games".
Also why do people refer to all video cards as a GPU?

You've already complained that pcem is too slow and now you want to play 1999+ (I'm guessing) games on it that require a GPU?
or are you wanting to play old games at 1280x1024+ 32bit in pcem and if so why?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 24, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sandi1987 wrote:

Can i play older 3D games in VMware or VirtualBox in Windows 98?

I found this.

https://duncanbowring.wordpress.com/2015/12/0 … -audio-drivers/

Virtualization support for 3D acceleration is very limited and almost none of it is meant for Windows 98 guests.

You might be able to play an old 3D game in a Windows 98 guest on one of the virtualization software solutions, but it would be pretty complicated to setup and would for 99% of games be worse than the alternatives.

There is no universal solution. Stop looking for one. It does not exist. If it did, the people here would know about it.