old opengl-ports of classic shooters

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 86, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote:

BloodGDX (http://m210.duke4.net) is a great Java port of Blood! (well, maybe not a 'port', the author used what source code he could find, and reverse engineered the rest) that is very good indeed. He's the same bloke who made BloodCM (available from the same site), which is a great, 99% accurate port of Blood! to Eduke32, the enhanced Duke Nukem 3D engine.

I agree with you, but be careful. Some here might throw rocks at us just for saying that. 😵

Reply 81 of 86, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can confirm that GZDoom requires a 32 bit OpenGL framebuffer, may be 0.9 versions worked in 16 bit modes but i doubt it. I think requiring 32 bit GL 1.1 is pretty much the same as requiring GL 1.2.

I've recently purchased for 10€ a laptop (hp omnibook xe3) with a s3 savage ix with 4 mb (based on savage 3d). It's the same only 16 bit GL 1.1 support. GL Quake (Fitzquake) worked but not GZDoom.
However i've tried again GLDirect 5.0.2 (from vogonsdrivers) and it works. There are some graphic problems tough. So it will almost surely work with the i815 as well. You'll want to disable CAD precision, i got a crash on exit (one of those in the 16 bit subsystem with a win 3.x type dialog) and then windows died. BTW quake was as disaster with gldirect.
With the trident blade xp it worked better than before with other GZDoom versions, also some graphic problems. There were more artifacts in the classic version with the trident driver than with the wrapper.
BTW i've added a couple of new low detail modes (3x2 and 4x4 not in release yet). They are a bit hacky tough since some adjustments were required.

Edit: i was wrong and in compatibility mode GZDoom is actually running in 16 bit mode. Seems like it's trying to use the microsoft software renderer and it won't run with the s3 driver even when allowing software. I've tried the promising 0.9.22 but it's the same, only works with gldirect.
Still crashes without the cad precision (LE version) on the s3 but not on the trident.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 82 of 86, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@dr.zeissler:
I've tested ZDoom Classic with the i810 and it works with the intel driver. I own one of those crappy matx boards, mine is a soyo but from the bottom of the barrel anyway. You need to set gl_vid_compatibility to true in the ini file.
The intel 810 doesn't support 32 bit color in 2d hence the 'Could not set resolution' error, i'll investigate it.
Resolutions higher than 640 won't appear in the menu but can be selected switching to software, they would be slow anyway.
Same for GZDoom 0.9.22, you'll get no textures with filtering enabled.

ZDoom LE as expected runs with GLDirect 5 and it doesn't crash on exit with the default settings. Quake is even worse than on the S3 (no textures unless using r_fullbright) but looks better with the intel driver.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 84 of 86, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dondiego wrote:

I can confirm that GZDoom requires a 32 bit OpenGL framebuffer, may be 0.9 versions worked in 16 bit modes but i doubt it. I think requiring 32 bit GL 1.1 is pretty much the same as requiring GL 1.2

It's not that OpenGL 1.2 requires 32-bit framebuffer or that OpenGL 1.1 does not support it.
It's hardware specific. And the fact is, that very old cards supported 16-bit and 24-bit (no 32-bits) color modes, while newer ones support 16-bit and 32-bit (no 24-bit).

Reply 85 of 86, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't mean that and already told i was wrong. The crash is fixed now for the next release anyway.

https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/commits/zdoomcl

I'd really like to make it work on the savage, i get an opengl driver not accelerated error and the microsoft software driver info at startup. AFAIK as soon as some required extension is missing the opengl subsystem falls back to the software renderer. Some help from someone with GL programming knowledge (such as leileilol) would be needed.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 86 of 86, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I alway thought, that there is no "retro-gaming" without 3dfx...but my i865gv does a great job!
it has a good speed on D3D and on OGL. It has no TNL and no PS, but who cares? the games I
want to play all work with that. For the older but very techdemos (ATI/NV up to DX9) I need
another machine, that has no fixed point todo all retro, from DOS/WIN3X over WIN9X up to WIN2K.

...beside that, the i865gv has support for OGL 1.3! 😀 so no issues with B-DOOM 😀

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines