Common searches

old opengl-ports of classic shooters

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 86, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo1's GL ICD is horrible (last updated May 1999, more intended as a Q3test hotfix driver), you're better off using MesaFX for all its shortcomings. I've had success with Zandronum (which used an older gzdoom that players whined about being old) + MesaFX with a Voodoo2 in the past

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 41 of 86, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know that voodoo1 is not a good choice. Only ogl1.1 and therefore no brutalDoom because it requires ogl 1.2.Beside the canopus voodoo2 no other voodoo2 will fit in this system, but i still have the onboard intel i815e gfx-chip that is faster then the voodoo1 in ogl. But I can't find if it's compatible with ogl1.2 or only 1.1.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 42 of 86, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there are programs that will tell you
http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu_caps_viewer/
http://realtech-vr.com/admin/glview
or the control panel for your graphics card might tell you

ps: there are pci cards that are a similar size to a voodoo1

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 43 of 86, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, but then I will lose the fantastic centered picture and quality of the intel-chipset-gfx.
I currently test the combination of the onboard-gfx with necPowerVR.

Reply 46 of 86, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think intel 815 supports OpenGL 1.2, why don't you get the latest driver and just try? Change the video renderer in the menu.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 47 of 86, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:

I see no difference between default and 0x0000000.

Those are PCem emulator screenshots with my then work-in-progress filter code. It'll be sharper on the real thing.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 49 of 86, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anyone tried ZDoom Classic on ancient GL 1.1 hardware? (or GZDoom 1.0.18). I'm interested on the performance.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 50 of 86, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

Thx, the Voodoo1 supports ogl1.1., if the i815e-chipset supports ogl 1.2 I did not find out yet.

According to Wikipedia the 815E supports OpenGL 1.1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_g … rocessing_units

Reply 51 of 86, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

zdoomCL does not work. cannot switch to ogl mode perhaps due to the fact, that ogl1.2 is not supported on my machine. (I815e+Voodoo1 or NecPVR instead)
doomlegacy looks best to me, performance is superbe, lightning is great, looks best to me...but has no brutal doom option.

brutaldoom does not work for me yet. I have several versions but the needed port for it (gzdoom) reports "cannt switch to 640x480x32",
don't know why...I saw I video of someone who used "Zandronum" with win98 and brutal doom, but he reported that he used the "KernelEX" update. Perhaps this is needed to run it.

Doc

Reply 52 of 86, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AFAIK ZDoom CL should run on GL 1.1 hardware, of course no BD. Have you actually used the 'enable GL system' switch?
I've read somewhere that intel 815 supports OpenGL 1.2, have you tried the latest drivers?
BD doesn't require OpenGL but you would miss some graphic effects. LE runs BD and has an updated GZDoom 1.8.4 renderer. You don't need KernelEx.
May be you're trying a too modern GZDoom version.

Last edited by dondiego on 2017-09-17, 23:22. Edited 1 time in total.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 54 of 86, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dondiego wrote:
AFAIK ZDoom CL should run on GL 1.1 hardware, of course no BD. Have you actually used the 'enable GL system' switch? I've read […]
Show full quote

AFAIK ZDoom CL should run on GL 1.1 hardware, of course no BD. Have you actually used the 'enable GL system' switch?
I've read somewhere that intel 815 supports OpenGL 1.2, have you tried the latest drivers?
BD doesn't require OpenGL but you would miss some graphic effects. LE runs BD and has an updated GZDoom 1.8.4 renderer. You don't need KernelEX.
May be you're trying a too modern GZDoom version.

LE is that zdoomLE ? https://github.com/drfrag666/ZDoom-LE/release … LE_281a_r22.zip
I have tested it and it runs very good on my hardware! It has an issue with my midi music...it stops playing after a short while due to a "memory allocation error", I played through the mpu401 interface and I use a dreamblaster2-midi-module. But beside that it's a great port!

Questions:
- Can I stop the mouse-moving feature, I like the mouse only for the look (but not free-look) and move through w-a-s-d ?
- Can I switch to an OGL-Renderer with that port (D3D, DDRAW currently)?
- Can I activate an FPS counter ?
- Does brutaldoom work with zdoomLE? how can I activate it?

Thx
Doc

Reply 55 of 86, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, look at my signature. As i stated on its thread that's the old version for win95. You need R3 but without GL 1.2 you're out of luck (of course it will run but in software).

About the mouse i don't know what you're talking about, look thru the menus.
Change renderer from the video mode menu.
Use vid_fps 1 from the console.
To run BD you need ZDoom launcher (ZDL), just add the files.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 56 of 86, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you. Please link the files you mentioned. There are hundreds of threads, shortcuts etc. I simply don't find these things.

My machine:
PIII/600EB/512MB Win98se (DX61)
Intel i815e + Voodoo1

According to your answer I Need:

- Zdoom (what Version?)
- Zdoom Launcher (what Version?)
- BrutalDoomPackage (what Version: 0.11 - 0.20)
- What is R3 ?

The GL Version requires OGL 1.2. I only have 1.1.2, so I only can use the Software rendered Version with less effects.

Thank you very much.
Doc

Reply 57 of 86, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Again, just look at my sig.

ZDoom LE (Legacy Edition)

Why don't you get another graphics card? Pretty much any will do.
You need ZDoom LE R3, ZDL and BD v20b (+ v20c patch recommended).

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 58 of 86, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is frustrating. I can't find a Version of ZDL that starts under Win98se. Does not work: https://web.archive.org/web/20120127095808/ht … file/zdl-30.zip

Reply 59 of 86, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm pretty sure ZDL 3.1a runs under 98SE:
http://www.doomlegends.com/chexquest/zdl31a.zip

RUDE (Doom)