VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trying to make Indiana Jones Desktop Adventures and Yoda Stories fill a dosbox screen as much as possible. This is difficult to do since the games were (badly) designed to never fill the windows screen in normal operation that is always windowed. Running them on wine and using xwinfo on the screen, it says to me that IJAHDA has

Width: 503
Height: 327

(so give or take 500x320 256colours)

And it requires at least 256 colors. Yoda Stories is very similar if not the same. I tried the MMDISP.EXE driver, and while that got to 320x200 at 256 colors, it was too litle obviously. 640x480 is the next 'standard' mode but i'd hope for better. If it's not possible i'll use it ofc, but expecially in Yoda Stories, that needs to run on windows 95, it makes for bad usability and immersion.

edit: a alternative would be to hack the executable to maximize the window of both games with black area and stay centered.

Last edited by Serious Callers Only on 2017-06-26, 18:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 3, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's more of a windows question than a dosbox one, since once windows starts, dosbox has zero control over the inner resolution of windows and this is a windowed app with fixed size, not fullscreen (where dosbox would indeed matter).

I tried a 'resizer' app i encountered on the net and that only unlocked lesser size than normal in Yoda Stories in win95.

This windows has access to the max directx that runs on windows; i don't remember... dx8.1 or something.

edit: ah, these games use GDI, so using dxwnd is out too. I think the only possible solution is to make this work the nonstandard windows rez.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Any windows 3.11 and win95 graphics driver that can support 'weird' resolutions?"
There were a few Windows 3.0 drivers which sported odd resolutions. Like 720x??? or 800x5?? resolutions.
I think they were either created to cope with the limits of ancient fixed-frequency monitors or
to allow for a higher colour depth with just 256KiB of video memory.
Windows/386 also ran in an odd VGA mode, 640x400.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//