VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kbiggs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1914: Shells of Fury uses DirectX 9, and I have been attempting to run it on my DirectX 12 PC. When at first trying to run it on my Intel HD integrated graphics card, the game looked fine but ran choppy. So I tried running it from my Nvidia card. The result of that was that the game ran smoothly but these black flashing lines would appear in the distance and the skybox wouldn't load properly.

QQdfsLI.jpg

So I switched back to my integrated graphics and tried running the game with the WineD3D for Windows DirectX 9 wrapper. Using this the game ran smoothly, but somethign would go wrong with the sky again. It would be pitch-black even if it was supposed to be daytime as in this image.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1412&d=1428064855

I'm currently out of ideas for solutions, aside just dealing with the game lagging a bunch. Anything else I can try?

Specs:

System: GE62 2QE Apache
Processor: Intel(R) Core i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 8,192 MB RAM
DirectX 12

Integrated Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
"Gaming" graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M
-both cards have latest drivers installed

Reply 2 of 9, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have the DirectX9 dll in the game folder? Sometimes a game needs the specific DLL to even work, or in this case to properly interface with the graphics hardware.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 3 of 9, by kbiggs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a "d3d9.dll" in the same folder as the game's executable, along with "libwine.dll" and "wined3d." With these present the darkness issue seen in the second picture occurs.

As for dgVoodoo2, I'm getting virus warnings from Chrome trying to download from their site. I know that's usually a false alarm, but it didn't happen the last time I downloaded from there. Did they get hacked?

Reply 6 of 9, by kbiggs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried dgvoodoo2 and it had no effect. I think because their wrappers only go up to DirectX 8, and this is a DX9 game.

Interestingly, when I tried the "d3d8" and "d3d10" dlls from WineD3D, the game ran just as it would without any modifications on my Intel card: no graphical bugs but choppy. But when I use "d3d9" it runs smoothly but with the skybox gone.

All of the problem's I'm experiencing have to do with the skybox in some way.

Reply 7 of 9, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kbiggs wrote:

I tried dgvoodoo2 and it had no effect. I think because their wrappers only go up to DirectX 8, and this is a DX9 game.

Interestingly, when I tried the "d3d8" and "d3d10" dlls from WineD3D, the game ran just as it would without any modifications on my Intel card: no graphical bugs but choppy. But when I use "d3d9" it runs smoothly but with the skybox gone.

All of the problem's I'm experiencing have to do with the skybox in some way.

Maybe try modded drivers on the Intel if you only need a small bit more performance? I think there called RoyalBNA or something.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 8 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kbiggs wrote:

Sorry, my reading comprehension was crap that day.

Maybe someone can patch/hack the game for you.

Also, I know this sounds weird, but try DxWnd? https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 9, by kbiggs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So DXWnd didn't work, and overclocking had no noticeable effects, but I've found a partial solution.

WineD3D for Windows caused the blackout issue, and I think it's because they weren't written for my version of Windows. I downloaded the regular WineD3D exe and extracted the "d3d9," "libwine" and "wined3d" dlls from there using 7-zip. I dropped them in the game file and now I think it runs marginally better. I've also found that lowering the resolution of the game to the lowest setting helps as well, without negatively affecting the graphics quality (it's an old game so it won't look very pretty by today's standards anyway). I just wish there was a way to bump it up to smooth performance without compromising visuals.