VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SonataFanatica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

the GOG version of Wing Commander 3 is the DOS version, which I'm not too happy about. (It's got some bad sound clipping, too.)
I know I could go ahead and tweak those DOSBox settings myself and all, but I'd really prefer playing the Windows version.

So I installed the WC3 Windows version (from the original disks) but while the game does work perfectly (after applying the ddraw thingy), it doesn't recognize my joystick.
(I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit, and I'm using a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X — which works perfectly in all the other Windows and DOSBox games.)

In WC3's game options (accessed by ALT+O), "Joystick" is already selected (whereas the other two joystick options "Thrustmaster" and "Flightstick Pro" somehow can't be selected).
However, using the joystick doesn't work in the game. No movements or button presses are registered by the game.
Pressing CTRL+J (in flight) activates Joystick Mode, but that doesn't do anything either.

Oh and... the "Kilrathi Saga" version doesn't recognize my joystick either.

Any ideas?

Last edited by SonataFanatica on 2017-07-30, 00:34. Edited 1 time in total.

sonatafanatica-freigeibuut.png

Reply 2 of 5, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This may not be relevant, since you're talking about the Windows version, but I was reading yesterday that a few people solved their issue with using a joystick in Strike Commander (in DOSBox) by making sure that it was the only controller plugged in and listed in Windows. There's a big difference between native Windows and running through DOSBox, but both games were from the same developer only a few years apart, so I suppose that it's plausible that they might both recognize only one controller. It's something to try, and could at least be useful if you end up having to play the DOS version, instead.

Reply 3 of 5, by SonataFanatica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your input! I just got a message from a friend about this. He wrote

"Frankly, the superiority of the Windows version is not wholly accurate; back in the mid-90s, there was considerable debate abou […]
Show full quote

"Frankly, the superiority of the Windows version is not wholly accurate; back in the mid-90s, there was considerable debate about this.

While the digital audio of the Windows version improves the sound quality for people without good midi cards, it renders the music non-interactive. The 'better sound' of the Windows version has to do with loss of midi support (goodbye MT-32/SC-55 etc).

DOSBox setup for Gravis Ultrasound emulation provides optimal sound quality if you don't have a real SC-55 to send midi to, and the Ultrasound also improves frame rates on slower computers (we're talking 486-class machines versus Pentium 90s; all of this talk of framerate is irrelevant with today's chips...).

The loss of midi music (replaced by digital audio in the Windows version) means adequate sound quality, but then the interactive and modifiable nature of midi is lost. In a way, it's the difference between a live orchestra reacting to onscreen action (midi) or pressing play on an mp3 file (digital).

(The best part of the Kilrathi Saga version back in the '90s was being able to play WC1+2 on fast systems, as the original only really worked perfectly on 386-25, 386-33, and 486-33.)"

This cleared things up for me immensely.
Thus, I'll be diving deep into getting a perfect DOSBox configuration for WC3-DOS (with Gravis Ultrasound instead of MT-32 emulation, like I did with WC1+2).

I hope this thread will help others, too!

edit: I got it!!
I finally found out how to "activate" the joystick in the Windows version of "Wing Commander III"!!

I thought I didn't have to change anything, seeing how my joystick was the ONLY peripheral in the Windows control panel.
HOWEVER: Even if there's only one — you HAVE to designate it as your "preferred device"!
Open Windows control panel, click "view devices and printers", right-click the joystick, click "game controller settings".
In the next window, there's an "Advanced..." button. Click it and then choose your joystick (in the drop-down list) as your "preferred device".

Done!
It works! 😀

Reply 4 of 5, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SonataFanatica wrote:

Thus, I'll be diving deep into getting a perfect DOSBox configuration for WC3-DOS (with Gravis Ultrasound instead of MT-32 emulation, like I did with WC1+2).

How'd you get Gravis Ultrasound working in WC1 & 2? Both games pre-date the GUS and I don't have the option for GUS in the fully patched GOG versions of either.

SonataFanatica wrote:
I finally found out how to "activate" the joystick in the Windows version of "Wing Commander III"!! […]
Show full quote

I finally found out how to "activate" the joystick in the Windows version of "Wing Commander III"!!

I thought I didn't have to change anything, seeing how my joystick was the ONLY peripheral in the Windows control panel.
HOWEVER: Even if there's only one — you HAVE to designate it as your "preferred device"!
Open Windows control panel, click "view devices and printers", right-click the joystick, click "game controller settings".
In the next window, there's an "Advanced..." button. Click it and then choose your joystick (in the drop-down list) as your "preferred device".

I'm glad that you got it recognized. If you find that there are any calibration issues, try this, which I just stumbled upon: https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … stick-routines/

BTW, I added your solution to the PCGamingWiki entry for the game, with a reference back to this thread. I'm sure that it'll help some people.

Reply 5 of 5, by SonataFanatica

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Osprey wrote:
SonataFanatica wrote:

How'd you get Gravis Ultrasound working in WC1 & 2? Both games pre-date the GUS and I don't have the option for GUS in the fully patched GOG versions of either.

No, I meant: "(...) instead of MT-32 emulation, which is what I used with WC1+2". (I'm using MT-32 emulation with WC1+2, and GUS with WC3.)

Osprey wrote:

If you find that there are any calibration issues, try this, which I just stumbled upon: https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … stick-routines/

That's what I had tried before but it didn't work.

Osprey wrote:

BTW, I added your solution to the PCGamingWiki entry for the game, with a reference back to this thread. I'm sure that it'll help some people.

Awesome! 😀